My garage base ready for concrete but want to check a few things first, pics inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have finally got my garage base ready for the concrete to be laid and just wanted to check a couple of things first.

Here's some pics:

That is the MOT type1 compacted down. I have the damp proof membrane to go down and then the concrete.

Now I'm only going to fill the concrete about 4 inches, so it won't be going right upto the top of the blocks, probably about half way/3 quarters up the block. What will be the best way to level the concrete? As it's not going to the top of the block a straight piece of wood isn't going to work that well I don't think?

Also when I put the damp proof membrane down I obviously overlap it right over the bricks but when the concrete goes in will it be ok in the corners ie. Tight into the corner or will I have to cut the membrane neatly into the corner so the concrete can flow right into the corner?

Cheers guys!

Sponsored Links
Keep the corners uncut just fold them, use a notched bit of wood to level off the top of the blocks if the blocks are level.

You won't really want a level base though, you'll want a fall from back to front.

Depending on what you are going to put in it what about some mesh?

Ahh is that so any water will run out?

I wasn't going to bother with the mesh as I didn't think I need it for a basic garage?

Sponsored Links
If you want to put a car in it ever, use mesh and ideally it would be 5'' thick if so. If its not for a vehicle then 4'' will be fine.

As for the fall that was the traditional way to allow you to easily hose it out after cleaning or let it drain if the washing machine floods but its not necessary, just a personal preference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back