My gas fire goes 'put-put-put'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok folks...now you've stopped laughing at my title for this post..and no jokes about little scooters or mopeds being stuck up my chimney please.

Joking aside, I had my Valour living room fire serviced by British Gas and I feel they did a reasonable job about 12 weeks ago. However, when I am trying to have my well-earned afternoon nap, the damned thing keeps making a little popping noise...
Now bearing in mind this is gas and I ain't tampering with it, does anybody have any idea what is causing it?? Maybe it is something to do with a mix of air or a draught from the vent that is causing it.
Maybe I need to call them back to have a look, but just in case there is a simple answer I have posted on here.
So, any information as always would be much appreciated, especially as both Stoke and Wolves have been booted out of the FA Cup this weekend.
Thanks from Stokey

Sponsored Links
Valor built so much realism into these "coal" effect fires,not just to look real but to sound real aswell.
Model ?

Sponsored Links
Hi folks,
Thanks for the prompt replies.
The fire is a Valor Visage...either a 622 or 622L.

Stokey

Has the aluminium tape been replaced along the base of the fire?

Early Visage "plaque" burners suffered from gas emmiting from the central join of the the two "plaque" burners.This can be remidied by applying some fire cement at the center join.After applying the fire cement allow to cure naturally for 24 hours then replace coals and use,this should eliminate your "popping".
I keep expecting Whitney Houston to appear in tonights film "Robin Hood" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tHE OTHER ALTERNATIVE IS TO CALL b.g back and they will instigate a joint visit with someone who knows what they are doing etc etc :evil: :evil:

Baxmax said:
tHE OTHER ALTERNATIVE IS TO CALL b.g back and they will instigate a joint visit with someone who knows what they are doing etc etc :evil: :evil:

not for a fire they wont.

very unlikely, i tried it a few times to no avail on newly installed fires and only got one manufacturer to come out and he was a generic guy who did lots of different fires. they may do it if they installed it but otherwise i wouldnt count on it.

Well, thanks for all the suggestions. None of you kind folks has intimated that there is a great risk, although the thought of any 'leak' brings shivers down my spine. I may just give bg a ring. My CH is under 3-star Homecare, but they only service the lounge fire as an extra.
Was WHITNEY HOUSTON in Robin Hood? Not a brill film really...even more romantic than Errol Flynn in the 'forties!!! But the theme song was a good one!!
Thanks so much for all advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back