My gas oven flame won't adjust but hob and grill are fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this only happened the other day. I have quite a basic Calor gas oven and now when I turn the oven on and ignite it using the spark button the flame stays the same no matter how long I leave it on or what gas mark I set it to. The flame is quite low about gas mark 3.

Any ideas on what this might be please?

Sponsored Links
Flame supervision device is Kaput, Goosed, Faulty or inoperative.

Hi gasbanni, thanks very much for replying. Is there a way to check that the flame supervision device is definitely the problem?

Edit:

I just did a bit of reading and I now realise I don't have a FSD. This is a device that cuts off the gas when the flame is blown out? I was told by a gas fitter that because my cooker is an old one that it didn't have one fitted and that it would be law by 2015?

Thanks again

No that's a flame failure device, standard in civilized countries, obviously not got to the states yet.

Sponsored Links
Hi foxhole, thanks for the heads up, I must change my location as I'm resident in the UK now sorry

You will have an fsd/ffd unless the cooker is 40 odd year old.

If its a really old cooker the thermostat operates by allowing more or less gas through so the flame size determines the temperature.

If its like this, its probably a blocked jet so you just need an experienced gas fitter to fix it. Would be quite easy, not so long back fixed a 1930's cooker !

Very solidly made everything could be accessed and serviced no safety devices at all !!

Hi guys, thanks again for replying. Just thought I'd update some info incase I can salvage this cooker.

On the back at the bottom is a blue box with Apco Kigas Model No: 686-6895 written on it. Seems to have a few wires connected to it.

I can't find any information about that on Google though.

I'm also wondering why would only the oven be affected and not the hob and grill, should they not all be linked?

Thanks again for your time

Edit: Sorry I got the model number wrong it's 6BG 6893. This is it here, if I bought this would that do the trick?

http://www.mytub.co.uk/product_information.php?product=378587

Hi guys, thanks again for replying. Just thought I'd update some info incase I can salvage this cooker.

On the back at the bottom is a blue box with Apco Kigas Model No: 686-6895 written on it. Seems to have a few wires connected to it.

I can't find any information about that on Google though.

I'm also wondering why would only the oven be affected and not the hob and grill, should they not all be linked?

Thanks again for your time

Edit: Sorry I got the model number wrong it's 6BG 6893. This is it here, if I bought this would that do the trick?

http://www.mytub.co.uk/product_information.php?product=378587[/QUOTE][/i]

Save your £39.99. We woin't give gas advice on here, but that part is not part of your problem. Now we've saved some of your hard earned, spend it towards the cost of an RGIl but male sure he is certified for cookers AND has experience in maintenance of them. He probalby won't give you a quote, but I ALWAYS explain my charging structure,before attending.

The fact that you have that part on your cooker, indicates that it DOES have an FSD of some type, and it is not as ancient as the '30s!

Ok thanks I understand. Guess I'll have to get a new oven as I imagine an FSD and a certified gas man will be over £80 anyway.

Thanks again guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back