1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

My Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Home Automation' started by eveares, 3 Nov 2018.

1. eveares

eveares

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not exactly home automation (although I do have a lot of it), however it is a integral part my life and one may find it interesting.

Regards: Elliott.

2. OldJake

OldJake

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's a really sweet setup you have there! I thought I was doing quite well but it looks like I'll need to up my game.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Here's mine.

In that box is:

- Cable Modem (primary connection)
    - VDSL Modem (backup FTTC connection)
    - Mikrotik router
    - 8 port gigabit switch (with cables that run around the house)

And to the right is:

- Ubiquiti UAP Lite AP
    - Philips Hue Bridge

The AP used to be on my hall ceiling but we're having some building work done soon so I moved it out of the way.

You might be surprised to hear that my job involves building national ISP networks. The tale of the shoemakers shoe comes to mind!

Attached Files:

5. OldJake

OldJake

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A cobbler's children are the worst shod, I think is the expression :)

Yes, that's pretty much what it looks like down the back of my TV cabinet. My ISP router (in modem mode) is in the cabinet and the Nighthawk is behind the TV. Luckily, we bought a new TV a little while ago and you can't actually see anything.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. That's why mine's under the floorboards under the stairs. Pairing a new phone/tablet to the Hue is a bit of a pain when you need to press that button!

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local