My House Refurb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partner and I are moving into our new home and making a few (by that I mean a lot) of changes.

We are starting with a complete refurb and restoration of a Victorian house. There is a host of original features that we are trying to restore as well as adding a hint of a modern touch to the place.

We plan on having the house rewired, replumbed and replastered.

I need some advice on a few things.

1. Plastering: Can I just skim these walls? I had one guy say yes, and another guy say that I had to overboard some walls. I never liked the idea of overboarding so is there anything else I can do? The walls that he said need overboarding are internal walls. (please see my photo album)

2. Plumbing: The pipes are in a mess at the mo, they are all over the place. Is it better to use copper or plastic pipes for this? I was going to do it myself and have a plumber I know come in and check I have it correctly.

Any help would be really appreciated as I am nearly at the point where I will blow the house up! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Just one word of advice: Get the electrics sorted NOW. Do not wait until its too late. Even if it looks ok, this is a total refurb, its worthwhile doing the electrics again now so they'll last another 20-30 years.

1. Plastering: Can I just skim these walls? I had one guy say yes, and another guy say that I had to overboard some walls. I never liked the idea of overboarding so is there anything else I can do? The walls that he said need overboarding are internal walls.

you dont have to overboard if you prefer not to! though it would be easier and possibly cheaper to overboard and skim if the walls are that bad.

Well guys,

took your advice and redid the electrics and overboarded. It is looking very very cool! I will post some pics some I PROMISE!

I have a question though. I have existing door frames and I wanted to purchase some new doors throughout.

Now the doors are oak veneer and quite heavy. Will the frames support them? Now I know this is crazy considering you haven't seen the frames or doors but generally are frames built to withstand some weight? I mean these are older frames. Is there anything I can do to reduce the weight issue i.e. 4 hinges instead of 2, longer screws, certain hinges, etc?

Sponsored Links
it may be easier to renew the linings as they are prob not square, in wind and generally shapless,mind you if they are fine the linings should be strong enough to hold old heavy solid pine doors which were originally fitted so holding oak veneer should be fine if they havent rotted anywhere and are still sound and secure.

The frames have not rotted but there are some war wounds :confused: Can't replace now as new architrave has been fitted.

We have filled and smoothed where necessary, but will this still hold?

I would maybe see if you could restore the wood in the doors frames if you are having heavy doors fixed in them. It will be worth it and will be cheaper than getting new ones.

And yes, definitely get the elctrics sorted first and get them seen to properly so that you won't need to call someone in again soon.

Good luck! Look like an exciting project!

John

Hi there no i don't think you need to board the walls skim would be fine depending on the walls you could even use a thick lining paper ( would be cheeper)

Plumbing always a gd idea to get them redone you never know what has happened before you and they could be some bad joints or leaks - my opinion is to use cooper all the way - little bit more expensive but worth it in the long run will last longer.

hope that helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back