My Ideal Classic FF260 does not light, no pilot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler has worked for 8 years and yesterday just stopped heating. The pump and fan still operate, but no pilot light. It gives off a sound like the fan is working but everything is dark through the spy hole. I have turned up the power knob to max the thermostat to max. I have turned off and on the boiler switch and the mains but no life on the gas side.

When the red light is on the controller I can hear noise from the boiler so all the electrics to the boiler seem to be working, when off it goes quiet.

The over heating reset button has not come out.

There seems to be two gas taps, one on the main inlet and one to the left of the switch and power knob.

Any ideas or should I call a plumber?

Sponsored Links
Gas taps would have no relevance unless someone has turned one or both off. The thermostat too, will not achieve anything without the pilot lit.

Turn thermostat to off. Try and relight the pilot, instructions usually on or in boiler. If it fails to light or wont stay lit, then you will need a gas engineer, Corgi or Gas Safe. If it lights, and stays lit, turn the thermostat back up to your desired setting, boiler should light.

The boiler has worked for 8 years

Any ideas or should I call a plumber?

Could I ask how many times it has been serviced during those 8 years?

Hugh, are you quite sure this model has a permanent pilot?

I dont think my FF240 upstairs does. But then I dont service it as any problems and I fix it free !

Tony

I am not familiar with this boiler Tony, I will happily admit. It was about the only thing I could suggest to the OP to try (if possible!) before they called in an engineer. It did cross my mind after I had posted as to whether this appliance had a permanent pilot. I am happy to stand corrected.

Sponsored Links
I am virtually certain that it does not!

But I have to be careful in case I am wrong and there have been some boilers sold in both PP and E versions.

I also like to be gentle to other engineers in case they have made a mistake or just forgotten.

As the problem is combustion related then the OP should call a CORGI boiler engineer.

Tony

No PP on FF classics only RS models!
If fan is running then check the air pressure switch and hoses Is there a sparking being heard? This would indicate that the boiler is trying to light(APS OK) but possibly no gas at valve(2 Solenoids pilot and main both easy to change) followed by the ignition pcb !
Classics are relativly easy to work on and to fault find on!

If fan is running then check the air pressure switch and hoses Is there a sparking being heard? This would indicate that the boiler is trying to light(APS OK) but possibly no gas at valve(2 Solenoids pilot and main both easy to change) followed by the ignition pcb !

Do you really think that advice to do gas related work is appropriate for a DIyer who does not seem to be proposing to try much anyway?

Do you really think that advice to do gas related work is appropriate for a DIyer who does not seem to be proposing to try much anyway?

Which is why i didn't reply! Got a fiver says its a landlord :LOL:

Hi and thanks for the feedback. The boiler has not been serviced for some time, been unemployed for awhile and then trying to run a business in these difficult time, was about to get it serviced.
I am not the landlord just the owner.
I don't believe it is a permanent pilot.
I have had to be on an IT Server call out myself since 6am this morning and just got back 250 mile round trip and 5 hours in traffic jams and the house is quite cold.
Finally got hold of a plumber but they won't come until Monday.
Tried the system again but just the same. The system notes on the lid say to turn up the thermostat to full (6) and turn on the switch.
I have talked with a friend who is a plumber but lives 60 miles away and is on a job. He thinks it may be the electric igniter that has stopped working.

I can fell and hear the fan but I cannot hear any sparking.

My job is IT network & Server design and anti hacking security testing and risk management.

For a change of scenery I have a workshop and the tools to make furniture, sheds, lay patios, build walls, lay drains, floor lofts, do basic plumbing, refit bathrooms, showers, wire factories, homes, fit tow bars for myself and others but I do not mess about with Gas!

If the fan is running, then it will be APS or gas valve.

Can't understand anyone not coming out until Monday :confused:

I'm working all day tomorrow, just hope I get Sunday off :cry:

Just check the gas meter outside and I can smell gas, it is a faint smell, but with my nose I only tend to be able to smell strong smells. Had the gas board out three years back to replace a leaking pipe on their side of the meter, between the main shut off valve and the meter, may be the same or the one on our side may be leaking a bit.

Suppose I better call them out to check it tomorrow.

No smell in the house.

Is the APS the automatic pilot light starter.

I have hit the boiler side, not hard.

Do you mean hit the gas valve in the middle section?

OK it needs a service, I planned one and lined up the engineer 2 years ago then was unemployed so could not afford it. Just gained enough to have it serviced and it stops!
Thanks for the helpful advice. May try to find someone via recommendation of the neighbours tomorrow who will come out on Saturdays.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back