My interior painting plan: Have I missed anything?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I've figured out what I need to do, but would really appreciate if some one gave my plan a once over and pointed out any fatal flaws

First I plan on using Dulux Trade, but I'm going to figure out the price of Dulux Trade and Glidden Trade and then decide

So here goes

All interior wood except possibly kitchen and bathroom
Dulux Trade Satinwood, need to use Dulux Trade Undercoat

All ceilings except kitchen bathroom and hallway
Dulux Trade Flat Matt, no special undercoat needed
Q1: Been recommended dont understand why I need flat
Q2: given there is distemper on the walls could it be on the ceiling too and if so how do I find out before I paint them all and then have them all flaking on me?

All walls except kitchen and bathroom
Dulux Trade Matt, no need for special undercoat, except where there is distemper, I'm going to seal with Zinsser Gardz

Kitchen
Walls and ceiling, found lead gloss paint so covered it up with Zinsser Bullseye
now plan on painting with Dulux Trade Eggshell
Q3: Can or should I use the eggshell on the woodwork too or go with Satinwood (dont like gloss)
Q4: Dulux Trade Undercoat says it can be used with Eggshell but should I use it?

Bathroom: Dulux Trade Eggshell (may go with the Mouldsheild)
same questions as kitchen

Hallway ceiling, upstairs is covered in ceiling tiles, downstairs has newish textured paint to hide gouges from removal of ceiling tiles which is starting to flake at edges and crack in places, I'm scared to even look at it
Q5: Do I scape it all of and start over

Hallway wall, was stripped of paper and painted with Dulux Luxurious Silk
no filling or proper pre work done so there are gouges to fill and weird stains showing through (distemper, wallpaper paste?)
Q6: Do I need to remove the paint. I was thinking of filling the holes, priming with a mixture of Zinsser Gardz to seal the stains and Zinsser Bullseye to make sure my Matt holds to the Silk, is this a good plan?

Any advice greatly appreciated, I've never undertaken a project as big as this and so I'm trying to be sure of my choices before I buy the paint

Thanks in anticipation
LindsayO

Sponsored Links
First of all, dont fall into the trap of "buying cheaper" paint syndrome.

Gliddens Acrylic Eggshell has not great covering power.

You dont need to use Undercoat as Satinwood is self-undercoating.

I'll get back to you in relation to your 5 questions...................

Crikey!!!! you'v taken on a project and a half there for a first timer, are you doing it all yourself? :eek:

Sponsored Links
spice said:
Crikey!!!! you'v taken on a project and a half there for a first timer, are you doing it all yourself? :eek:

yes, pretty much, my brother said he'd come over and help with the ceilings

Answers as follows:-

1/ What is on the cielings already ? (if you know).

2/ If distemper is on surfaces then coat with Dulux Trade Stain Block Plus.

3/ You can use Dulux Trade Acrylic Eggshell over woodwork.

4/ Use Undercoat if there is an big colour change.

Use Dulux Trade Acrylic Eggshell in Kitchen & Bathroom.

5/ I would scrape & start over.

6/ Did you apply Dulux Luxurious Silk directly over/on bare plaster ?

Thanks Third_Eye

1. I dont know what is on the ceiling, it looks like matt emulsion

6. I dont know for sure what happened to the hall wall (wasnt me that did it)
I do know that wallpaper was stripped with alot of scraping and very little water, and that it was painted with the Dulux Silk, I suspect that there may be distemper under there and I'm pretty sure that no primer or undercoat was used.

"Answers" as follows:-

1/ Use Leyland Vinyl Matt.

6/ How big is the Hall ?

Third_Eye,

Thanks again

1. I thought Leyland was supposed to be poor quality cheapo paint and not a good choice (I'm very new to this I know nothing, so I'm probably just wrong)

6. I could go measure, but its a typical small hall of a small semi
The front door opens onto the a space twice the width of the stairs, the kitchen is at the end, and the living room is off the hall, its just big enough to be called a hall

the bad wall however is the stair side wall so its quite a big expense

1/ Everyone has there own opinions about paints etc. However, in relation to how question One has evolved and how you have epxlained everything, then i would highly recomend you use Leyland Vinyl Matt on your cieling(s). This due to many, many, many reasons. (If Brilliant White then make sure it is an Plastic Tub in 5 Litres as it has better covering power than if it was/is in an metal tin).

6/ How old is the House ?. What material is on the walls (i.e. is it gyproc or solid plaster, or both) ?

Okay Leyland Vinyl Matt on the ceiling (all ceilings?) it is then

The house is brick build, with a layer of grey stuff between the plaster and the brick, its porous and crumbles

It was built 1948 or 1952

Use Leyland Vinyl Matt for cielings, but NOT including kitchen & Bathroom.

Use Dulux Trade Acrylic Eggshell on cielings in Kitchen & Bathroom. Use White or whatever colour you prefer.

The only problem you have is that Dulux Luxurious Silk seems to have been applied either over poorly adherered paint or has been applied over bare plaster. Both have NOT meant to be done with Dulux Luxurious Silk.

Also, Yes, paste or distemper can cause emulsion to discolour. So can damp !

Therefore, if the hall wall is damp then the worst thing to do is apply an non-miosture vapour permeability or non-microporous oil-based paint on-top of any continous damp. Not that i am suggesting the wall is damp.

Therefore, with this in mind in relation to previous paragraph, then use Dulux Trade Stain Block Plus on distemper & "old water marks (repaired damp)". I say this cos Dulux Trade Stain Block Plus is water-based.

So, i would personally attempt to take of the Dulux Luxurious Silk (Difficult job) / OR you could chance it & apply Dulux Trade Stain Block Plus over the Dulux Luxurious Silk. Then emulsion over the Dulux Trade Stain Block Plus with Dulux Trade Acrylic Eggshell or Dulux Trade Vinyl Soft Sheen. / OR you could coat over the Dulux Luxurious Silk with Dulux Trade Alkali Resisting Primer (assuming there is no continous damp). Then apply Dulux Trade Acrylic Eggshell or Dulux Trade Vinyl Soft Sheen.

Thanks Third_Eye,

the old water marks are on the living room ceiling and are from a radiator in the room above leaking

the hall wall with the dulux silk on it appeared like water had leaked down it, the wallpaper was very old and in a very bad way before it was taken off so its hard to tell, but I think there may have been a big leak from the bathroom down the wall. I wouldnt know if there was anyother damp problem with the wall, or how to find out

There is two types of dampness.

One being, Damp that is comiing from the ground up.

The other is, an water leak in pipes etc inside the house.

So, if there is wet or damp walls from the skirting and going up then it usually damp coming from the ground.

Though if wet or damp is from the cieling down then it is usualy a burst pipe or leak or water getting behind the bath from an shower etc.

Is the water marks anywhere near the skirtings on the walls ?

Sorry Third_Eye, didn't mean to ignore your last question after all the help you had given me.

There is no sign of damp around the skirting boards (phew)

Thank you again for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back