My Kitchen is FREEZING!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, hope someone can give me some helpful advice here, i live in a victorian terrace with the kitchen off the dining room, the kitchen is single storey but does not have a radiator and it is freezing in there

whats the best method to heat the room? it has to be electric so i've been looking at plinth heaters, storage heaters, panel heaters, oil filled, can anyone give me any advice on what type would be best, there is room under the sink cupboard to install a plinth heater, and the back wall has space for a wall mounted heater

Sponsored Links
tell us about the method of construction, type of roof, size of windows.

you can lose 3kW of heat through an uninsulated ceiling on a frosty night.

I've always been impressed by the performance of De Longhi oil-filled radiators, look for the Dragon, 3 kw.

thanks

the kitchen is 13 ft x 9 ft, with 3 outside walls, the end wall where i would like to mount a wall heater is single brick i believe, half has been dry lined with insulation in between, and half has the plaster board stuck straight to the brick with a single glazed wood window in it, the roof is pitched and has been dry lined with a single layer of insulation most the way across, the left hand side wall is all dry lined with insulation all the way across and the right wall has the plasterboard stuck to the brick again, with a single glazed wooden window in it, both side walls double thickness i believe, at least the right one is, and would assume the left is

i think the kitchen was built way before any regs came in, possibly back in the 1930's

Sponsored Links
how thick do you think the insulation is

can you access the roof space?

how big is the window?

what draughts do you have?

how long do you spend in the kitchen?

what sort of floor?

is the boiler in there?

does it have an extractor, and a door to close it off from the living room?

insulation is that horrible stuff that's used in lofts, not very thick, maybe 2 inches, can't access the roof space, they never put a loft hatch in when they put the ceiling up, don't spend much time in the kitchen, only cooking, making tea, washing up etc, also forgot to mention that the back door to the garden is in the kitchen, far end on the right, no extractor and does have a door to close it off from the dining room

if you are in there for short periods, a fast-acting heater like an infa-red high on the wall facing towards you (or one on each side of the room) will make you comfortable more quicly than slowly hearing up the whole room with a radiator. a fan heater mounted low down will also be quick.

running a 3kW radiator to heat up the room will cost you about 25p per hour. A timer would enable you to put it on an hour or so before you come home.

An extractor fan will keep the kitchen drier (otherwise you will get a certain amount of condensation and damp, which will make it feel colder.

thanks for your help john, so just to make sure i would be best getting plinth heater with a switch above the worktop and just switch it on everytime i go in there, this way will give me quick heater rather than paying to warm up my garden??

yes that would work. be sure it has a thermostat to turn off at a reasonable temperature as electric heaters are expensive to run. better not to put it under the sink as it may singe your ankles while you are washing up.

you have not said how big the window is, but glass loses a lot of heat.

There are various cheap DIY methods to reduce this.

Improving insulation and reducing draughts wil reduce heat loss and make it easier (and cheaper) to keep the room warm.

wood, whys that?

Wood is a good insulator, metal frames such as the old Crittal windows are diabolical.

Heavy curtains or blinds will save more heat from being lost than double glazing will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back