My Laptop won't power on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a HP compaq NW8240, and today when I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't power on. That is it turns on for a second, the fan starts and then it knocks off. After trying to start it 5 or 6 times, it starts to smell a little. Not very strong but it smells a bit. Like something could be burning slightly. I have tried it with a universal power supply and the same thing happens. I haven't used the battery in it for ages, and always just used it from the power supply. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Ok: Update. SO I've now been told that there was coffee spilt on the laptop. However, as far as I am aware, the keyboard would have a protection tray to prevent coffee or liquids getting into the electronics underneath so I'm still not sure why it won't turn on?
I have disconnected the keyboard and still it won't power up for more than a split second. What are the possibilities?

Could a dead hard drive prevent a laptop from powering up? COuld a dead keyboard stop it from powering up? Or what else could this be?

a lot could be wrong, powering it up may have shorted something that would have been fine if left to dry (shame you weren't told before) take it apart as fully as you are comfortable with, clean any excess liquid and leave somewhere warm (not hot) to dry for a day or so.

I opened it up, took it apart and it seemed to be dry. I'll leave it in a warm place for a while anyway. The keyboard has a protective plastic undercase and so the board seemingly was protected. SO I am wondering what has caused this issue.

The battery hasn't been in the machine for several months, perhaps even a year. Could that be an issue? I'd have to find it too! :)
Also, could the hard drive be dead and if it was would that cause the machine to power out a second after the fan starts?
Or might it just be a bad power supply?

Sponsored Links
If it was the Hard Drive, then the lappy should still power up to the bios screen. Sounds like something has failed on the mobo tbqh. Perhaps a computer repair shop might be an option, but if it's an onld one then perhaps time to invest in a new model. ;) ;)

Try the hard drive in a different pc to rule that out. Take out the battery, the cd drive tye ram plug it in and try the power.

After trying to start it 5 or 6 times, it starts to smell a little. Not very strong but it smells a bit. Like something could be burning slightly.

I think that probably says it all really.

Did you strip it down fully; motherboard completely out of the case? Does it do anything at all?

Is it worth repairing? If the HDD is intact, at least you'll have all your data.

Sorry i missed the burning part. Your hdd is probably fine, I would claim this on your house insurance if i were you (if you have it) or sell it for parts on ebay (tested obviously) and put that towards a new one.

Thanks guys. The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that the laptop is done. :(
I presume that means the motherboard is damaged in some way?
If that is the case, I guess I could sell off the power supply, HDD, RAM, DVD Drive, Wireless adapter, Card reader drives and USB drives, and probably the screen too. The keyboard had a couple of keys missing and so isn't worth anything!
Is that what most people agree on?

Depends, its really hard to diagnose without inspecting it myself but a local pc shop may look at it and find something really simpe, charge a small fee and fix it. On the other hand they may find its dead and you'll still get charged for the inspection work.
It's a crap situation sorry buddy.

My nephew had a similar one a few months ago spilt coffee and the laptop so i stripped it down and cleaned all M/B with isopropyl alcohol and after reassembly it works ok and still is.

Andy

My guess would be the CPU is overheating. On boot if the CPU exceeds a certain temp then the laptop will automatically shut down. If you are happy taking it apart I would check that any thermal paste between the CPU and motherboard (if its not hard soldered to the motherboard) is still intact and that there is no dust in fans stopping them from turning or blocking vents etc.

If it was as a result of the coffee I would suspect there would be sticky residue from the spillage and if there isn't any of that then it could just be a coincidence that it stopped working at the same time as the spill.

Sponsored Links
Back