my light switches have no earth ( i think)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello hope someone can help me this is stressing me out... ive looked at loads on here which has been great but thought ide post my query to the peeps.. sorry if its long. basically i live in top floor flat im trying to sort out my wiring. apparantly i have no earth in my lights and switches according to electrician. theres not much acces from the attic i managed to cut a hole and have a look around but theres only like a foot at most in some places less. an even a retaining wall half way in attic with wires going to two other rooms through the wall. not easy to acces. basically ive been told my wiring is conduit?? whatever that is?? theres only black and red wires coming from light fittments and switches. i want to fit crome lights and switches but was told this is a major no no. ive just had a new rcd fuse board fitted and was told if ever there was a problem it would switch off anyway?? two electricians ive called out have qouted 400£ estimate for the job.. my question is Q.will i b fine to leave wiring as it is with crome switches and lights? the wiring apparantly is in good condition and havent had any problem as yet.Q is 400£ fair price? living in cardiff if that helps. thanx to anyone who bothers to read this and help a man that really doesnt no what to do :confused:

Sponsored Links
will i b fine to leave wiring as it is with crome switches and lights?
No.

the wiring apparantly is in good condition and havent had any problem as yet.
The danger is when you do.

Q is 400£ fair price? living in cardiff if that helps.
From what you have said it seems it could be a difficult job.

thanx to anyone who bothers to read this and help a man that really doesnt no what to do :confused:
Plastic - not the end of the world.

havent had any problem as yet.
I haven't had a car crash yet that would pitch me through the windscreen if I had no airbags and didn't wear my seatbelt.

Does that mean I can disconnect my airbags and stop wearing my seatbelt?

You say conduit with red and black wires.

Is it metal conduit?

If it's metal conduit it MAY be the case this is used as the earth.

Is it a purpose built flat?

You really need to send some photographs of the wiring and the fuse box before we can offer advice. In the meantime DO NOT fit any metal fittings.

Sponsored Links
If you've had an RCD consumer unit fitted recently as you say then you should have a test result schedule nearby giving the EFLI values of each circuit - post an image of this too.

Do the back boxes have earth terminals?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back