My lighting installation

Reaction score
Country
Norway
In the spirit of 'pic of the week' I thought I'd share the lighting installation I inherited with my recently bought house. It's awesome!

I've already pulled out a more recent lighting circuit to an extension, so this whole lot relates to 5 lights and a couple of wall lights. I like the little details that have built up over the years: the junction box with one cable in it; the tripple-twist 'mechanical strain test'; the grommet an inch away from the box...

And what's inside the box...

Beautiful! There's no looping-in at any light fitting or switch - it all occurs in here! There's another two layers of smaller choc-block under that visible one and a couple of twisted-n-taped connections. Just gotta love the way the earths are 'connected' by the lid screws. Well, some of them anyway - others are just unconnected in the box.

Just fantastic - I kind of want to keep it. Might just sod the rewire and pass that off as my own when I get my first BCO inspection :)

Liam

Sponsored Links
When you get round to re-wiring just cut all the wires at 18 inches round the box stick a piece of perspex over and enter it for the next Turner prize. Worse have won in the past.

some cabinet maker sold the piece of MDF he used as a cutting surface for 2 grand after he painted it white and set it outside advertised as "original art"..
he was taking the **** out of the turner prize winner some years ago..

sorry to hijack post but is it ok to have the looping in done at the switch rather than the light fitting.??

cheers

Sponsored Links
I kind of want to keep it. Might just s** the rewire and pass that off as my own when I get my first BCO inspection

You'll never get it past the BCO unless you put G/Y sleeving on the earths. ;)

did you have to remove stacks of old insulation? I spent the day nailing planks over ceiling joists for cable runs in a really old loft, trying to fish through the older insulation underneath to find the enntry point. Took on a rewire where the old dude does not want his decoration harmed "at all". Trying to bring new cable down from loft through old capped switch drops, nightmare but sorted. I have done a mix of loop in at switch or ceiling rose as some cable runs were proper difficult. Yes the house is full of massive mahogany beds and wardrobes and all that old carpet where the backing falls off when disturbed. When he heard the splintering of floorboards he nearly had a fit. I have heard on hear before that it is not recommended to mix the loop in method because of future misunderstanding, I have'nt done a bad thing have I?.

Job is paying well but lived in rewires take it out of you.

Nope, nothing wrong with mixing different methods.

A lighting circuit can be as complicated as your imagination can make it if you like.

Your post reminds me of why I went back into commercial contracting :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back