my mum is moving to electric only flat ... oven/cooker ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, my mum has to buy an Electric cooker as she is moving into an Electric only flat in an old peoples home.

This will happen in about 3 weeks time, i have seen the cover on the wall, where the cooker connects to the mains, am i correct in thinking that after turning off the power at the main it is as easy as connecting up a 3 pin plug, connecting the cooker up ??????????

BTW. it will be a free standing cooker, not a built in type !

PS, are a Cooker, Stove and Oven the same thing ????

tim

Sponsored Links
they are relatively simple to connect up as long as you make sure you put the cable clamps on and earth sleeve. Ensure the terminals are done up correctly and tightly 'alot of probs caused by these not being done right'

You should have a big red cooker switch to turn off as well as it disconnects the live and neutral (turning just the circuit breaker off normally just disconnects the live)

Cooker/stove/oven you say tomatoe I say tomato type thing.

thanks buddy, there is a big red switch. gr8, that is one potential expense/problem out of the way.

tortoize and tortass !

i am fairly sure the home will require certification off the installation for the safety off the other residents
so i suggest you check with them

Sponsored Links
Hi all, the new electric cooker is being delivered next Wednesday gr8, coming from CURRY's

Having a quick look at an identical cooker in the shop it is obvious that I have to get the Cable to connect it up to Wall, can i please ask the official name for the type of cable i need to ask for in a shop where they sell the cable please.

tim

you will need 6 or 10mm TE[twin and earth]
readily available in precut lengths at great cost from the sheds
or a better price from a electrical wholesaler

thanks buddy, excuse my ignorance but "sheds" does that refer to dixons, currys, jewson and comet etc. i know a wholesaler by the name of DENMANS but it is about 13 miles away !, LOL

tim

Sheds mean wickes b and q homebase etc . Have you a local electrical shop 2 metres is all you want poss cost 2/3 pound metre could be less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back