Separate electric Oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am after some advice please. I live in a flat that has a fuse box that has three fuses only. One for lights One for Sockets and one for Cooker. In the Kitchen there is the normal cooker wall socket with switch and 3 point plug socket and lower down is the plate for hard wiring the appliance. My wife recently purchased a separate electric oven and hob and I do not know the best way to install them. The Hob is an AEG HK95507FB it states it requires a electrical connection of 7.9kw and a fuse of 40 amps. The Oven is a Hotpoint DH53KS double electric oven and states it requires a electrical connection of 4.8kw and a fuse of 32 amps. If I have a fuse of 40/45 amps can I hard wire them both into the same socket or should I create a fused spur for the oven? or neither and need something else? Sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to provide as much info as possible. Also I believe the flat was built/renovated in 1980 in case that has some bearing on the wiring.
Thanks in advance for any advice given

Sponsored Links
Replace the existing outlet plate with one of these: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AA45DCOP.html
Wire both appliances to it.
If the 'cooker' fuse in the fusebox is at least 30 or 32 amp, then nothing else needs to be changed.

The Hob is an AEG HK95507FB it states it requires a electrical connection of 7.9kw and a fuse of 40 amps.
Manufacturer is incorrect.

Thanks for that and the hob is the correct manufacturer But missed a 0 should have been AEG HK955070FB
http://ao.com/product/hk955070fb-aeg-competence-ceramic-hob-black-21495-38.aspx
and states it needs a 40amp fuse but will that box still be suitable?

Yes, it's fine. The total load of that hob is 7.9kW, which is about 34 amps. They have stated 40 as that is the next fuse size above 32.
However for hobs and ovens, a substantial allowance is made based on the fact that all of the elements / rings will not be on at full power all of the time. A normal 30A or 32A cooker circuit is suitable for ovens & hobs up to a total of 15kW, so both the hob and the oven can be connected to it.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's fine. The total load of that hob is 7.9kW, which is about 34 amps. They have stated 40 as that is the next fuse size above 32.
However for hobs and ovens, a substantial allowance is made based on the fact that all of the elements / rings will not be on at full power all of the time. A normal 30A or 32A cooker circuit is suitable for ovens & hobs up to a total of 15kW, so both the hob and the oven can be connected to it.

Thank you so much for this. The wife will be pleased and will save me a head ache

Sorry one last question. Would 6mm cable be suffice?

Yes that will be ok to connect the appliances to the cooker connection unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back