My mum's quotation for window replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My mum had her windows upgraded from crittal windows to pvc double glazing in 2006 and has a certificate. The windows look brilliant and have served her well until fairly recently. I did some work for her last year and insulated between the floor joints while fitting her new flooring. I've noticed that ever since doing that she has had spots of condensation in corners of windows and and in some rooms. I've told her that I probably caused this and have offered to retro-fit some more trickle vents into windows (which there is room for) or pay a proper window fitter to retro-fit them, as this will increase the passive air exchange and hopefully solve the problem. She does have trickle vents in some of the windows already, but not all of them.

However, further to this has been a problem where moisture is being trapped within the glass, which started happening around the same time. She has phoned the chap (very nice guy) who fitted the windows originally and he has told her that the glass will need replacing in some of the windows where the moisture is trapped within the glass. This could be quite expensive and sounds totally bizarre to me, but then again, I'm not a window fitter.

I'm a little confused about whether his advice is accurate or whether it's me that is wrong and that they should indeed need replacing where the moisture is being trapped.

In theory I could pay him to replace the faulty glass AND retro-fit some trickles at the same time. Just need a second opinion.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't uploaded a photo at the minute but it does look exactly what a 'blown window' looks like when I search.
I'm a little confused exactly what has blown? Is it the seal or the window?

The seal around the 4 edges of the glass unit bonding the two panes together, not the rubber seal you can see around the frame.

See how units are sealed, watch from 1.35

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are companies that offer repairs to failed units, however not sure as to cost or effectiveness. Suppose you'd have to do a cost comparison i.e. quote from repair company and quote from glazier to replace failed units then decide from there.

There are companies that offer repairs to failed units, however not sure as to cost or effectiveness. Suppose you'd have to do a cost comparison i.e. quote from repair company and quote from glazier to replace failed units then decide from there.

Please don't use these types of repair companies...the unit is no longer a sealed unit if you start drilling holes in the edge of spacer bars ( which is what most of them do ) .

Much better , and more thermally efficient , if you have condensation between the panes , get the new sealed units.

I also hate to say I don't see how a trickle vent is going to stop condensation , they were designed for background ventilation for the build up of noxious gases ( eg Carbon Mono oxide ) , hence I would guess that is why some of the windows have them in now and not others

Please don't use these types of repair companies...the unit is no longer a sealed unit if you start drilling holes in the edge of spacer bars ( which is what most of them do ) .

Much better , and more thermally efficient , if you have condensation between the panes , get the new sealed units.

I also hate to say I don't see how a trickle vent is going to stop condensation , they were designed for background ventilation for the build up of noxious gases ( eg Carbon Mono oxide ) , hence I would guess that is why some of the windows have them in now and not others

Hi, can you offer a little more info here? What are the new sealed units???

New sealed units will be the new glass. A sealed unit is what the glass in double glazing is known as . If you look at Crank39s video you can see how a sealed unit is made. Being fitted in 2006 they will also have been energy efficient sealed units

Every unit of glass I've bought was £50. Big and small as a one off. Fitters charge twice this incase they break one plus fitting cost i was told...

£50+£50+ fitting however they can get a discount and buy for about £30 a unit...

As for trickle vents 99%are always shut in winter and when open they don't do anything. Heat always travels to cold so how dose the cold air from outside come in to stop condensation is mystery to me. All they do is let warm air out.

Heat always travels to cold so how dose the cold air from outside come in to stop condensation is mystery to me.

thermodynamics is not the same as ventilation

All they do is let warm air out.

So that's humid air, with the water vapour it contains, going out.

And since your house is not airtight, dry fresh air enters to replace it.

So that's water vapour leaving your house; and fresh air coming in.

mystery to me.

glad I could help.

Hurrah for ventilation!

I don't get it.. Our bathroom is in the centre of the house after extending. No window. Has extractor that's always switched off. We can have steamy shower, dry towels ect and no mould or condensation other than for 10 mins after a shower. Then it clears. Not even bathroom paint on ceiling and last painted in 2007 when I put it in.. Bet if there was a window in the bathroom I'd be in trouble.. Just a saying.. Having advised many customers and tried everything to help.
1614544906906_compress85.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back