My neighbour is refusing SSE to enter property so I can move my meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently live in a semi-detached property which has a looped supply which enters into to my property first and then in to my neighbour's property. I need to move my meter due to building work. SSE have been engaged to do the alteration. However, my neighbour is refusing to allow SSE to turn off the supply so that the work can be completed. SSE are refusing to carry out the alteration until my neighbour agrees that the electric can be turned off. My neighbour has been difficult through the planning and build over the last 5years which has caused me delays, extra costs running into the 10 thousands of pounds and I believe that this is another delay tactic which could go on for years which could mean that I will not be able to move fully into the property with my kids.

Has anyone come up against this problem before and how was it rectified.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

BJM

Sponsored Links
My son also had a problem, it seems the supply should not have been looped, and as a result no way-leave raised to permit the cables to be run between the two houses, it went on for years, and don't know what happened in the end, it must have been sorted as the extension was completed, but it was it seemed ages with walls up but no roof as cables in the way, but son short of money to complete it, so was not pushing.

It looks like you need to ask the DNO to remove the loop and install a separate supply to your neighbour. In effect you make it a cut out switch problem not a meter movement problem.
Indeed- but SSE (who have 'refused to do the work) presumably are the OP's DNO.

I can't really see how the neighbour can 'refuse to allow their supply to be turned off', since that could be required for all sorts of maintenance reasons, and could be a crucial safety requirement if work on the OP's incoming supply were being undertaken.

Since the supply is looped from the OP's house, they the DNO would not need to enter the neighbour's property to disconnect their supply - and it would then presumably be up to them to decide whether they wanted a (new) supply provided to their property :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Tricky one. Looks like the neighbour is determined to dig their heals in and be difficult. From the description it sounds like the neighbours meter may be inside.

You’d like to think that common sense will prevail but maybe not so they may end up with a formal dispute which they would need to declare if either want to sell.

Do you HAVE to move your meter?

What does your builder say about this?

Have you talked to the local BCO?

Does your extension require a PWA and if so do you have one ?

Last edited:
Utility companies can, where necessary, go to the courts to obtain a warrant to enter premises.
Indeed they can - but, as I wrote,it doesn't seem to be a matter of 'access'. We have been told that the neighbour is 'refusing to allow their supply to be switched off' (which I find hard to believe they can!) - which, as I said, could be done (from within the OP's property) without any need to enter the neighbour's property.

Kind Regards, John

The DNO has I think the power to give the neighbour reasonable notice of a temporary disconnection of his supply which unless he is on the vulnerable customers list he has to accept, this happens to me about once a year for all sorts of reasons e.g. reconfiguring the supply cables in the village. They can probably also forcibly unloop his supply - provided they have a mind to do it.

Do you have a digger and would it be possible for you to "accidentally" go through his supply cable?

The DNO has I think the power to give the neighbour reasonable notice of a temporary disconnection of his supply which unless he is on the vulnerable customers list he has to accept, this ...
I don't think a consumer has the ability to 'veto' a planned temporary disconnection (or even an 'unplanned' one if it arises as an 'emergency'), even if they are on the 'vulnerable list'but, if the are on that list, and depending upon the circumstances, the DNO may have to provide an alternative source of power during the period of disconnection.
.... They can probably also forcibly unloop his supply - provided they have a mind to do it.
As I've said, there presumably wouldn't be anything particularly 'forceful'about it. Since the neighbour's supply is looped from the OP's property, it could simply be disconnected from within the OP's property. The neighbour would then have to allow access to their probably if they wanted a new supply to be installed!

In my sons case they were ex-council houses, and some one when they were build thought it would be easier to loop the supplies, but the plans did not show a looped supply, and so there was no way-leave in place. From the point of finding out supplies were looped, to correcting it, next door had died and the house sold and new owner had laid a lovely new drive.

My son had already paid for the supply to be moved, and had a new meter box ready for the move, and an isolator for the supply to go into, and a temporary 16 mm cable from old location to new location while waiting for the move. Colvid did not help, we had moved and still had our old house, so he moved into our old house so no chance of family catching Colvid from him should he catch it at work, he decided he liked our old house, so bought it from us, so we were not around when the cables finally got moved. But it did take years.

In my sons case they were ex-council houses, and some one when they were build thought it would be easier to loop the supplies, but the plans did not show a looped supply, and so there was no way-leave in place.
If there is no wayleave (or, at least, some sort of 'agreement'), then I would imagine that the owner of the 'first-supplied' property (like the OP in this thread) could probably demand that the 'loop cables' are removed from his/her property, leaving thee neighbour with no way of 'refusing to have the power disconnected', couldn't he/she?

Kind Regards, John

The concencous on here seems to be it is the obstinate neighbour that is the problem but SSE obviously seem to think he is within his rights, so to me it is up to them to work around the situation. The difficulty we have is that we only see the ops side of the argument.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back