It arrived today! Even came with rechargeable batteries!

I will post more in due course, although have played around with it a little and all seems good. Even the free Megger download manager is not bad for simply getting the stored results on to your computer via Bluetooth.

Tested my External loop impedance (TN-S Arrangement) with 2-Wire high current and got a nice reading of 0.16Ω for Ze.

I swear it's not a loaded question but any reason for testing your loop impedance?

Sponsored Links
A better place to start would be with the check-box, use of which means no more calibration tests needed (unless the results drift).

Ok, I guess I just don't get it. I wonder what the amateur (although seemingly very knowledgeable) folk on this forum actually do with all their knowledge. Do they re-wire their house every year???

Sponsored Links
  • Eveares is trying out his new machine; it's a good place to start.
    Indeed. It's certainly where, a good few moons ago, I 'started' with my first MFT (after measuring the mains voltage and frequency!), and it's probably also where I have started on receipt of subsequent MFTs.

Kind Regards, John

Ok, I guess I just don't get it. I wonder what the amateur (although seemingly very knowledgeable) folk on this forum actually do with all their knowledge. Do they re-wire their house every year???
Obviously not, but I imagine that many/most of us do at least some electrical work in our houses every year which requires 'proper testing' (virtually all electrical work does, which is the thing most overlooked by DIYers) - and that's before one considers houses other than our own.

Kind Regards, John

Obviously not, but I imagine that many/most of us do at least some electrical work in our houses every year which requires 'proper testing' (virtually all electrical work does, which is the thing most overlooked by DIYers) - and that's before one considers houses other than our own.

Kind Regards, John

Why? I do electrical work (Very simple) once in a blue moon. That is because there is no need to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? I do electrical (Very simple) once in a blue moon.
A lot of what I (and I presume others) do is also very 'simple' (replacing accessories etc.), but that doesn't mean that one should not undertake 'proper testing' which requires kit that most DIYers don't have (and don't bother to hire and/or would know how to use it, or how to interpret the results).

However, as I said, it's not necessarily restricted to our own home, and it's not that uncommon for family/friends to want things done which are not quite so simple/trivial.

It also means that one can 'check out' one's electrical installation far more frequently than one would pay someone to undertake an EICR, which can't be bad (and occasionally turns up problems). Even if I say so myself, I feel that I'm adequately competent, knowledgeable and equipped to undertake what is effectively an EICR on my own house's electrical installation - and since it's a very large house, with a complex electrical installation, I fear that I would be charged a lot for an EICR!

Kind Regards, John

There's a new, never-been-out-of-the-box one on eBay now for £500.

This one by any chance: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEGGER-MFT-1730-AND-POWERSUITE-ON-SITE-TESTER-/263206516579

I swear it's not a loaded question but any reason for testing your loop impedance?

Because I wanted to test my new MFT 1730 and until now had no idea what the external loop impedance reading (Ze) was for my installation.

A better place to start would be with the check-box, use of which means no more calibration tests needed (unless the results drift).

But a basic check box won't help for calibrating the RCD test functions and the mains Loop impedance test functions. Plus you need an official 3rd party calibration certificate within a year anyway from a legal perspective.

Quite so, and I also occasionally do non notifiable jobs for family and close friends as well.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Still really do not get it... but I'll leave it each to their own.

Still really do not get it... but I'll leave it each to their own.
If you only do electrical work in your house 'once in a blue moon' (and probably don't undertake proper testing when you do), and if you never do electrical work for family/friends, then I wouldn't expect you to 'get it', since it wouldn't really apply to you.

However, those in this forum to whom you are referring are probably different from you. Indeed, if you only undertake electric work 'once in a blue moon', one has to wonder why you are participating in a 'DIY Electrics' forum.

Kind Regards, John

But a basic check box won't help for calibrating the RCD test functions
I have an RCCB extension lead.
That is an RCCB and socket on a piece of wood connected to a plug which I use to verify that the meter still gives the same results.

and the mains Loop impedance test functions.
You can occasionally test form the same place for the same reason.

Plus you need an official 3rd party calibration certificate within a year anyway from a legal perspective
I'm not 100% sure what the legal position is but if you do the same test periodically and the results are the same (keep a record) I don't think anyone could complain - certainly for two or three years.

But a basic check box won't help for calibrating the RCD test functions and the mains Loop impedance test functions. Plus you need an official 3rd party calibration certificate within a year anyway from a legal perspective.
What 'legal perspective'? I would think that a formal need for calibrated equipment would arise if you were trying to persuade LABC to accept your measurements in relation to notifiable work - and, provided you didn't falsify calibration documents or something like that, I don't see what 'legal' issues there could be (but they could decline to accept your measurements!).
Quite so, and I also occasionally do non notifiable jobs for family and close friends as well.
As I've said, same here.

Kind Regards, John

If you only do electrical work in your house 'once in a blue moon' (and probably don't undertake proper testing when you do), and if you never do electrical work for family/friends, then I wouldn't expect you to 'get it', since it wouldn't really apply to you.

However, those in this forum to whom you are referring are probably different from you. Indeed, if you only undertake electric work 'once in a blue moon', one has to wonder why you are participating in a 'DIY Electrics' forum.

Kind Regards, John

Because I have a mild interest in it?

Are you legally allowed to do electrical work for friends n family ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back