You can occasionally test form the same place for the same reason.
Indeed - or, as I do (and BAS talks about it, so he probably does as well), you can insert a small resistor (1Ω or 0.5Ω) in series with the tester and observe what change in reported loop impedance results.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Are you legally allowed to do electrical work for friends n family ?
Of course (we're in the UK, not Australia). Indeed, anyone can undertake paid electric work for strangers if they are competent so to do.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Because the question which would probably occur to me would be "Why?". However, as you've said yourself, everyone to their own.

Kind Regards, John

What a ridiculous answer John. We all do things once in a blue moon such as voting for instance. As for your large complex house.. have you thought about getting it done properly so you don't have to t*t about with it continually. As for the EICR you ain't qualified to issue one. Competent maybe but any insurance company would have a field day on you.

There are even fewer restrictions on who may do EICRs than other work, which Part P says you must do to ensure safety and may sometime involve notifying the Local authority.

I agree that that should not be the case.

No.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/megger-1730/292223245513

But a basic check box won't help for calibrating the RCD test functions and the mains Loop impedance test functions.
Well - none of them will do calibration. And if you cannot find one which will keep track of everything, build one. Easy enough to put an RCD in, so that's that box ticked, and for fault loop what you do is to have the box between the tester and your installation, with a 0.5 - 1Ω resistor switchable into the earth path, and you check that the delta between your two loop measurements is always that value - that way you are insulated from any changes to your actual Zs/Ze.

Plus you need an official 3rd party calibration certificate within a year anyway from a legal perspective.
No, you don't.

Using a check box should give you all the peace-of-mind you need.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
What a ridiculous answer John. We all do things once in a blue moon such as voting for instance.
We do - and for that reason I would not participate in a forum which discussed 'voting'. However, in dramatic contrast, politics affects me every day of my life, so I might well (although I don't!) feel inclined to participate in a 'politics' forum.

What you don't seem to appreciate is that those non-electricians who, like me, are regular participants in this forum undertake electric work, (and not necessarily all 'simple' work) much more frequently than once in a blue moon.
As for your large complex house.. have you thought about getting it done properly so you don't have to t*t about with it continually.
I do not have to "t*t about with it continually". I undertake routine maintenance and repair, just as with any electrical installation (although there is probably more than that than most people experience, because of teh scale of the installation) and occasional additions/modifications.
As for the EICR you ain't qualified to issue one.
I wasn't actually talking about "issuing an EICR" but, rather, simply enjoying the reassurance of inspecting and testing my installation more frequently than most people would do, or I could afford to have done. However, what makes you think that one meeds to be "qualified" to 'issue an EICR', should one so wish?
Competent maybe but any insurance company would have a field day on you.
Only if I were incompetent, just as they would probably have a field day if it emerged that a so-called 'electrician' (with some 'qualifications') had undertaken incompetent electrical work.

However, insurance companies could be the least of your problems. When you undertake electrical work 'once in a blue moon', do you undertake all the necessary proper testing? If not, then you could well be committing a criminal offence. The law (Part P of the Building Regulations) requires that "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.” and I imagine that a Court would probably feel that the "reasonable provision" should include the undertaking of recognised tests as required by BS7671 to confirm that the law was being satisfied.

Kind Regards, John

We do - and for that reason I would not participate in a forum which discussed 'voting'. However, in dramatic contrast, politics affects me every day of my life, so I might well (although I don't!) feel inclined to participate in a 'politics' forum.

What you don't seem to appreciate is that those non-electricians who, like me, are regular participants in this forum undertake electric work, (and not necessarily all 'simple' work) much more frequently than once in a blue moon.
I do not have to "t*t about with it continually". I undertake routine maintenance and repair, just as with any electrical installation (although there is probably more than that than most people experience, because of teh scale of the installation) and occasional additions/modifications.
I wasn't actually talking about "issuing an EICR" but, rather, simply enjoying the reassurance of inspecting and testing my installation more frequently than most people would do, or I could afford to have done. However, what makes you think that one meeds to be "qualified" to 'issue an EICR', should one so wish?
Only if I were incompetent, just as they would probably have a field day if it emerged that a so-called 'electrician' (with some 'qualifications') had undertaken incompetent electrical work.

However, insurance companies could be the least of your problems. When you undertake electrical work 'once in a blue moon', do you undertake all the necessary proper testing? If not, then you could well be committing a criminal offence. The law (Part P of the Building Regulations) requires that "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.” and I imagine that a Court would probably feel that the "reasonable provision" should include the undertaking of recognised tests as required by BS7671 to confirm that the law was being satisfied.

Kind Regards, John

Simply because you and I would be in exactly the same boat. Regardless of the fact it is most definitely the case you know way more than I do about the subject you aren't a qualified electrician, therefore easily arguable you aren't competent. How else would you judge it? After all you wouldn't get away with saying I am a perfectly good driver and then being offered to take a retrospective driving test would you?

Simply because you and I would be in exactly the same boat. Regardless of the fact it is most definitely the case you know way more than I do about the subject you aren't a qualified electrician, therefore easily arguable you aren't competent.
That's obviously "arguable" but certainly not as claer-cut as you seem to be making out - there are competent non-'qualified' people and incompetent ones with 'qualifications'.
How else would you judge it? After all you wouldn't get away with saying I am a perfectly good driver and then being offered to take a retrospective driving test would you?
Yes I would - as a demonstration of your competence to drive. Courts actually do sometimes require people to undertake a (further) driving test if their competence to drive has come into doubt. The difference, of course, is that there is a legal requirement to take and pass a driving test (i.e. proving 'competence') before driving on public roads, whereas there are no legal requirements to prove competence before undertaking electrical work.

I really don't think I would have any problems with electrical work I had undertaken. I could produce and explain evidence of my design processes, explain how the work was compliant with all the relevant regulations in the Wiring Regulations (BS7671) and could produce my schedules of test results - and if someone so wished, they could inspect and test my work and confirm that it had been undertaken competently/safely and in compliance with regulations. Other than the possession of 'paper qualifications' (which, in some cases, appear to mean/prove nothing), I don't know what more anyone, electrician or otherwise, could do 'to demonstrate competence'.

Kind Regards, John

That's obviously "arguable" but certainly not as claer-cut as you seem to be making out - there are competent non-'qualified' people and incompetent ones with 'qualifications'.
Yes I would - as a demonstration of your competence to drive. Courts actually do sometimes require people to undertake a (further) driving test if their competence to drive has come into doubt. The difference, of course, is that there is a legal requirement to take and pass a driving test (i.e. proving 'competence') before driving on public roads, whereas there are no legal requirements to prove competence before undertaking electrical work.

I really don't think I would have any problems with electrical work I had undertaken. I could produce and explain evidence of my design processes, explain how the work was compliant with all the relevant regulations in the Wiring Regulations (BS7671) and could produce my schedules of test results - and if someone so wished, they could inspect and test my work and confirm that it had been undertaken competently/safely and in compliance with regulations. Other than the possession of 'paper qualifications' (which, in some cases, appear to mean/prove nothing), I don't know what more anyone, electrician or otherwise, could do 'to demonstrate competence'.

Kind Regards, John

Well good luck with that. As I say I don't doubt your competency... but then that said this thread as is normal in this section has gone way off topic.

Anyone can do EICRs, no qualifications required.
The same applies to any other electrical work.

A term which is frequently used but is undefined and has no meaning.

I have no doubt you are correct. But that clearly makes it worthless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back