My next DIY Project .....Loft (or is it an Aviary), tidy up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the loft in my small 2 up 2 down 1903 vintage house.

Over the last 10 years it seems to have been taken over :(

I think I'll counterbatten the existing joists and board over then tackle the birds nests.

What size counterbattens should I use? Do I just tuck the insulation under them?

Loft-001.jpg

Loft-004.jpg

Loft-007.jpg

Loft-008.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like they started that chimney arch with every intention of making it a neat and tidy job, then just forgot about that towards the top. Ours slopes like that, but its a single sided arch (fireplaces in front rooms, but not rears). :eek:

Just finished my loft. Cross battened with 4 x 2's, then laid additional insulation between. Kept the cuts as long as possible to spread the load and then boarded on top with chip board and loft boards.

Hot work though!!!

Loft-012.jpg

Now I can see what i'm doing. :)

I was warned when I bought the house that the joists in the loft were not strong enough to take a great deal of weight so I don't want to over do things with the size of the cross battens.

I'll have to see what the timber yard has.

Sponsored Links
Loft-019.jpg

Getting there :D

Project delayed by arrival of partner's 3rd grandchild :D

Loft ladder next, some more flooring under one of the eaves, then deal with this mess ......

Loft-021.jpg

Any suggestions about coating / painting / something the rather rough brickwork to clean it up a bit???

Dry lining with 3/8 plasterboard and then top it off with horizontal lining paper painted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back