my outside xmas lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
posted a little late now, but here are some pictures of my outside xmas lights.

Outside xmas lights

DSC00427.jpg

DSC00429.jpg

Outside xmas tree

DSC00426.jpg

Outside xmas lights power box

DSC00440.jpg

Inside the outside xmas lights power box

DSC00423.jpg

The supply to the outside xmas lights up in the loft

The supply cable to the outside xmas lights

DSC00433.jpg

The outside xmas lights timer

DSC00434.jpg

The timer is set to come on at 16:30 & to go off at 23:00

The outside xmas lights plug

DSC00435.jpg

The 2nd white plug is for the outside xmas lights

The xmas tree in the dinning room

The new lights for the tree (from Germany, & only cost about £7)

DSC00441.jpg

The tree

DSC00447.jpg

The plug for the tree lights

DSC00443.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are you posting those pics to show others what not to do?

Sponsored Links
My concern is the two transformers in a sealed (apparently plastic and there for thermally low conductivity ) box could overheat and fail possibly creating a short between 230 volt and the cables to the lights.

Yea - But atleast the lighting is subtle, and not a farse of elaborate lighting.

My concern is the two transformers in a sealed (apparently plastic and there for thermally low conductivity ) box could overheat and fail possibly creating a short between 230 volt and the cables to the lights.

The box is one of those IP65 weather proof boxes made by timeguard, which is designed for pond pump or xmas lights plugs & transformers.

Cable installation method 14498-G (Strewn Direct) ;)

The 1mm white flex is temp. for this xmas only, as I ran out of time to put in the 2 gang weather proof RCD socket above the shower room window (the socket will go to the right of the vent above the shower room window, in the pic below)

DSC00440.jpg

The front outside socket will be supplied from the loft sockets circuit, in 2.5mm HiTuf, & will be clipped up to the wall in the loft & outside. So next xmas the weather box will also have a timer in it as well, & it will just plug into the front outside socket.

Central heating time clocks don't have hugely rated contacts ;)

Many just 3 amp, and not inductive.

Just a pointer ;)

When will you post some more pictures of the kitchen project ? Ive been looking forward to seeing the complete install.
Nice work on the xmas lights supply ive seen much worse temp supplys on local authority installs. :D

When will you post some more pictures of the kitchen project ? Ive been looking forward to seeing the complete install.

I will be posting some more pics of the kitchen project in a week or two's time, after the cooker side is finshed & tiled.

Then it means just the sink side needs doing, as this side will take a little longer, as the plumbing needs redoing. Then it will just leave the replacing of the Consumer unit (new 19 way MK cu with RCBOs), & testing & connection of the new circuits (also testing of the 2 old circuits, downstairs sockets & lights).

Nice work on the xmas lights supply ive seen much worse temp supplys on local authority installs. :D

So have I, flexs joined with terminal blocks, 16A commando sockets fitted to lamp posts, but the flex was to short so more flex joined on with a terminal block.

And in someplaces (e.g Dartford town center) after Xmas when the lights come down (the ones which are fixed to catinery wires over the pavement), instead of cutting the cable ties to remove the whole flex back to the plug, the flex is cut close to the dec. to take the dec. down, leaving the rest of the flex tied to the catinery wire, still plugged in.

So have I, flexs joined with terminal blocks, 16A commando sockets fitted to lamp posts, but the flex was to short so more flex joined on with a terminal block.

And in someplaces (e.g Dartford town center) after Xmas when the lights come down (the ones which are fixed to catinery wires over the pavement), instead of cutting the cable ties to remove the whole flex back to the plug, the flex is cut close to the dec. to take the dec. down, leaving the rest of the flex tied to the catinery wire, still plugged in.

Protection by placing out of reach :D

Thats what ive seen too in most towns around here. Common problem is they wire the socket into the cutout with the lantern so when water gets into the socket or festoon it takes out the lantern too ! When they should have fitted a twin fuse cutout above the REC cutout so separate fuses for the lantern and xmas lights.

Im a big fan of the MK Masterseal sockets for this purpose as you can use the supplied BS1363 plugtop thats moulded onto most decorations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back