Xmas lights . . RCD and Timer . . . . . . . . . .

I couldn't find a lower limit. Maybe some of us are getting confused because of the 50V lower limit of the Low Voltage Directive.
Yes, even more potential confusion! BS7671 is 'fairly' clear in specifying a lower limit of 50V AC. I say 'fairly' clear because it says "exceeding ELV", rather than "exceeding the upper limit of ELV" (and, of course, even 5V is ELV!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That would proberly confuse more people as I think the transformers are labelled 13.something volts aint they

Yes, even more potential confusion! BS7671 is 'fairly' clear in specifying a lower limit of 50V AC. I say 'fairly' clear because it says "exceeding ELV", rather than "exceeding the upper limit of ELV" (and, of course, even 5V is ELV!).

Kind Regards, John
Isnt it the same with HV, there appears to be no lower limit

Is that relevant? I obviously presume you think it is but - as you have pointed out, asking in a shop for extra-low voltage bubs is just as imprecise. ... You would not want anything other than 12V if that was what was meant.
Yes, if one wants a 12V bulb one has to ask for a 12V bulb - an 'ELV bulb' could be 3.5V, 6V, 12V, 24V, 48V or whatever!

However, the potential problem is not with buying bulbs (when one has to be specific about voltage {and about other details - such as type, base etc.}, even if just 'mains') but with, say, lighting fittings, pond pumps etc. etc. If, presumably in accordance with what you would like, 230V ones were sold as "Low Voltage" items, do you really not think that some people would probably end up with products "less safe" than they were really expecting?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Isnt it the same with HV, there appears to be no lower limit
Even in current BS7671, that "normally" has crept back - or maybe has always been there ("Normally exceeding LowVoltage")!!! ... in what sense can that be called a 'definition'??

Kind Regards, John

If, presumably in accordance with what you would like, 230V ones were sold as "Low Voltage" items,
No, the terms are just as pointless for specific items whatever the voltage. 12, 240, 11000 or 33000

do you really not think that some people would probably end up with products "less safe" than they were really expecting?
They might - but the only problem is that manufacturers have labelled 12V lamps as Low Voltage.

The terms Extra-low voltage, Low voltage and High voltage are not needed for DIY work or household sales.

Even in current BS7671, that "normally" has crept back - or maybe has always been there ("Normally exceeding LowVoltage")!!! ... in what sense can that be called a 'definition'??

Kind Regards, John

Does that now mean a 12 volt dichroic lamp was at one time HV

Other way round Rocky - there is no upper limit for HV; it's any voltage exceeding 1 000 V AC or 1 500 V DC.
Im sure that what it is, but the regs definition is not that clear cut, as john just posted

Other way round Rocky - there is no upper limit for HV; it's any voltage exceeding 1 000 V AC or 1 500 V DC.
... "Normally" (per BS7671) - but, as I said, that hardly constitutes a 'definition' in my book!!

Kind Regards, John

Set the timer so they don't come on before Xmas Eve please!

No, the terms are just as pointless for specific items whatever the voltage. 12, 240, 11000 or 33000
Indeed - but people don't get criticised here for talking of "low voltage" because it is 'pointless', but because it is 'incorrect' (since they almost invariably are talking about what you would call ELV).
The terms Extra-low voltage, Low voltage and High voltage are not needed for DIY work or household sales.
I agree totally that those technical terms are not needed by DIYers or ('general public') consumers. That leaves them with their very-long established (non-technical) common usage of the phrase "low voltage" to refer to a voltage low enough not to usually represent any significant hazard.

Kind Regards, John

... there is no upper limit for HV; it's any voltage exceeding 1 000 V AC or 1 500 V DC.
.... or .... I love this 'definition' ....
IEC said:
151-15-05
ecblank.gif
en
high voltage ...
ecblank.gif

ecblank.gif
voltage having a value above a conventionally adopted limit
:)

Kind Regards, John[/quote]

Indeed - but people don't get criticised here for talking of "low voltage" because it is 'pointless', but because it is 'incorrect' (since they almost invariably are talking about what you would call ELV).
Well, put right rather than criticized - to avoid confusion.
I don't think I have ever used the term ELV in normal life. I would say 12V or whatever.

I agree totally that those technical terms are not needed by DIYers or ('general public') consumers. That leaves them with their very-long established (non-technical) common usage of the phrase "low voltage" to refer to a voltage low enough not to usually represent any significant hazard.
You may be right - but do you know that it is not just because of the mislabelling by manufacturers?

Do they call their car lamps low voltage?

Well, put right rather than criticized - to avoid confusion.
Fair enough - but there really is not any reason for confusion if one accepts that the general public do not use the 'technical definitions' - because, as you said, they don't need to (and, in general, don't even know of their existance).
I don't think I have ever used the term ELV in normal life. I would say 12V or whatever.
Same here - other than, perhaps, in this forum when I fear that people are waiting to jump on me!.
You may be right - but do you know that it is not just because of the mislabelling by manufacturers?
I'm pretty sure that the phrase "low votage" was in common English usage (to refer to a voltage low enough to be fairly harmless)for decades before any 'ELV' lamps/bulbs showed their faces in UK homes, no matter how they subsequently came to be labelled.
Do they call their car lamps low voltage?
No, because there is no need - just as there was no need to talk about two different 'voltages' of domestic lighting when it was essentially all 'mains voltage'. If there were an appreciable number of cars around that used much higher voltages (100V, 200V, 230V or whatever) for their bulbs/lamps, I imagine that people would start talking about 'low voltage' and 'high voltage' lamps/bulbs (and would keep their fingers away from the wiring of the latter when it was live!). In the days of battery-powered valve radios etc., we had "high tension" and "low tension" batteries (both of which would, incidentally, today qualify as 'ELV').

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back