My Pilot light keeps blowing out.Only at Winter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Pilot light keeps blowing out but only during the winter months. I have a north facing exhaust for the boiler. I think it must be due to the wind change at this time of year as all summer long there is no problem at all.
Is there anything I can do such as fitting an external cowl/ wind break?

Steve from Wolves.

Sponsored Links
No you cannot interfere with the flue terminal.

But have you had the pilot light serviced with that problem in mind?

Flues are designed to be unaffected by winds. But that assumes the boiler is serviced regularly by someone who understands how to set them.

Some younger people are not very experienced with older boilers.

Tony

Yes the boiler has been serviced last year but not this year. Last few years have also had the pilot light going out but not as much as this. Seems to be every 10 - 20 mins at mo so just enough to get my pipes heated and hot water tank tepid.
The engineer seemed to know what he was doing, but easy to baffle someone who knows nothing about this subject. Thanks for your advice.

Steve

I would suggest you get someone to service it with a view to preventing this problem.

What did the servicing engineer have to say about this problem?

Would you say he was younger or older?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would say the engineer was mid 30's, and yes a service may not be a bad idea.

Just seems weird it only this time of year when the wind changes. All summer long not a prob.

Whilst some younger ones might have enough experience if they had worked on contracts with many old boilers its generally those over 50 who are likely to have worked when all boilers had pilots 20 years ago!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back