My plastering time lapse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I skimmed a wall for the first time since I did a DIY college course, here is a time lapse video.

I thought you may be able to give advice, but its probably too fast to spot anything, so I thought I'd share for the fun of it!

Ian

Sponsored Links
Looked good, was fun watching those nice clean clothes get grubbier and grubbier.

Did they teach you to stat at the bottom and work up?

Well you're a very fast worker. Are you one of those Poles we've heard about that work really hard?

Looked good, was fun watching those nice clean clothes get grubbier and grubbier.

Did they teach you to stat at the bottom and work up?

haha! I wasn't anywhere near as messy as I used to be, but did mix up a bit thicker this time!

Yes I was taught to start at the bottom, I read a guide last night that said do the very top first, then from the left hand side in the middle of the wall go upwards, all the way along, then do the bottom, starting at the floor meeting the plaster already applied to the middle of the wall. What do you do?

Sponsored Links
Because I am right handed I start top left to right to about halfway down then left bottom to right up to meet the middle.

im a lefty,all the spreads ive worked for over the years have been right handed,and they all started top right hand corner,so they were always working onto there work.

i do the opposite.

I have not met a right handed spread that does not start from the left.

Me included.

Always start at the top and work down.

I have not met a right handed spread that does not start from the left.

Me included.

Always start at the top and work down.

thumbs_up.jpg

I did start from the left.... only at the bottom.

On the next wall I do, I will do the top first, then work upto. Hopefully will be quicker!

The main issue I am having with my plastering is its just not thick enough. Its nowhere near 3mm, its more like 1mm in some areas. Its not flat either. Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve?

Ian

If it's too thin a layer then you need to add less water. It's the viscosity of the mix that decides your thickness. Use a bigger trowel (or darby) if you want to get flatness and use your finishing trowel to polish (but not too much).

If it's too thin a layer then you need to add less water. It's the viscosity of the mix that decides your thickness. Use a bigger trowel (or darby) if you want to get flatness and use your finishing trowel to polish (but not too much).

I actually thought I mixed up quite dry! Maybe I just wasn't putting enough on the trowel....

I never thought or was taught to use a darby, sounds like a great idea, what stage would you do that at?

iturner15";p="2915136 said:

I actually thought I mixed up quite dry! Maybe I just wasn't putting enough on the trowel....

I never thought or was taught to use a darby, sounds like a great idea, what stage would you do that at?[/q

Did you put 2 coats of skim on it?

Yes I did put 2 coats on, although its hard to see in the video, I have now done the wall on the right of this one (with the tv point) and its better, not prefect, but better.

Why shouldnt you over polish the plaster? Its so nice when its like glass! lol

You wont get the paint to stick on it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back