Plastering over plaster..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first wall was a terrible attempt. I'd like to skim over it using PVA. Any tips here as last time I tried this even after PVA the new skim was drying so fast...

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The pva should and will kill the suction!! So you must be doing something wrong when applying the pva. Now are you diluting it 4-1 if so then the pva is rubbish! Buy a branded name and mix it at 4-1 apply the first coat (like you would if you were painting the wall with a roller} Leave that to dry (preferably over night. Then when you are ready to skim it apply another coat of pva and mix up your gear and get yourself set up. By this time the pva should be getting "tacky" that's the time to start your skimming,,And you should have plenty of time to play with it.... ;)

How big is the wall you are attempting? I'm not sure from your post if you have plastered before. If not can I suggest trying something smaller, under the stairs, some hidden corner people don't see, or getting some plasterboard to practise on - also making sure the radiators are off where ever you are. It takes time and a bit of practise to get the knack of plastering else everyone would be doing it!

How big is the wall you are attempting? I'm not sure from your post if you have plastered before. If not can I suggest trying something smaller, under the stairs, some hidden corner people don't see, or getting some plasterboard to practise on - also making sure the radiators are off where ever you are. It takes time and a bit of practise to get the knack of plastering else everyone would be doing it!

I think ye man has not got the right pva skhudy,or has not applicated it properly. So if he does what he has probably learned from some of the posts on here then he will have time to practice on his walls and get a fair finish! If not he can pva over it and try again .Sometimes I don't think it is the plastering skills that people have but the knowledge of what goes before to make the plastering easier. and that is what comes from practice and failure.
. ;)

Sponsored Links
As Roy says, preparation is key (pun intended)

Even better for the newbie is Wickes Bonding Agent or Thistele Bondit applied the day before. Easier as you apply once and don't need to worry about it being tacky etc.

However PVA done as suggested is cheaper and perfectly fine if done right

Hi all, many thanks for the advice

The PVA is unibond and cost £20, I never go for cheap stuff.

I would also say it's something I've done wrong. I'll try the 4/1 mix and leave it until dry. I'm much more confident at plastering now so I'll be able to skim it alot faster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back