PLASTERING OVER TILES?

Joe, watch my lips."mmwwaahhhhh".Now please read this post P R O P E R L Y and S L O W L Y. I will write this only once. Pauldavis21,(the original poster) had a customer who was gutting out a bathroom,but wanted him (PD21), to leave the tiles on the wall and just plaster over them. He rightly advised the said customer, that taking the tiles off and doing the job properly would be the best way to proceed, and the customer agreed with that sound advice.Pauldavis21 then began stripping the tiles from the 2 solid walls,and removed the plasterboard with the old tiles still intact, from the 2 plasterboard walls,and sheeted the two walls with new plasterboard.The bathroom was then skimmed.....I will let you digest what I have written so far, while I go and make a cup of tea.....(10 minutes later)....Right,now where were we? Oh yes. After the bathroom had been skimmed,Pauldavis21 then said the bathroom suite was fitted,and the room started to look really smart.He said that although removing the tiles etc had meant extra work,he and his customer were satisfied that all the effort and hard work had been well worth it,and it showed with the end result.The customer also knows,that should they want to do any future work in that room,there will be no costly problems with the walls.All of this is contained in the above posts.Any further questions,explanations or interpretations,ask Pauldavis21. Yaaaawwnn. The insults at the end of your post will get you everywhere. ;) Night Night.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
im not a plasterer so cant give a proffesional opinion, but the poster was kind of asking if it was possible and not if its good practice. in joe-90 defence he was just answering the question. but i dont think i would want plaster over tiles, but im sure its poss if people say they have done it.

im not a plasterer so cant give a proffesional opinion, but the poster was kind of asking if it was possible and not if its good practice. in joe-90 defence he was just answering the question. but i dont think i would want plaster over tiles, but im sure its poss if people say they have done it.
Why are you commenting on a 3 month old post! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
silly me :oops: i was using the search for summat and seen this and just started reading and thought i'd add my pence worth forgot dates

im only posting so i can turn off the replies, you ******* keep on posting on this old post i dont need to see it now ty come again! ;)

roughcaster,

I was a little bored this afternoon after the job i WAS meant to be doing was cancelled because the customer FORGOT it was today i was coming.

Anyway, I read the full thread all the way through again because i was bored, and i cant beleive Joe stands by his guns with what he was saying :eek:

Anyway, im off too pack now because im going on a lovely trip on an old steam train tomorrow from sunny blackburn to york. I remember when i was a young lad and they used to chug past my parents house, happy days.

it's not just joe who stands by his guns on this one. i do the same.

roughcaster and diysifree are fine to have their opinions and i only really take exception to "bodged". this from the dictionary indicates "make a mess, destroy or ruin".

those who think this to be the case are welcome to it. what joe and i are saying is that a value for money option exists to plaster over tiles and a spot on result achievable.

for the disbelievers i will try and set up one of those hosting things to put my "bodged" pics as evidence. if you can't wait email me and i will send you the before and after "bodged" photo's straight away.

the art of plastering (or bodging depending upon your opinion) - a real joy to watch and fascinating results from such meagre tools.

Before Bodge
beforebodge.jpg

After Bodge
afterbodge.jpg

JerryM,
The art of plastering involves far far more than just being able to "skim" over a few tiles with such "meagre tools." Every one has their own way of doing a job. Value for money for you now, could cost a new occupant a lot of money in the future. I'm glad I don't do it your way,Jerry and I never will. My verdict: I can't believe it's not tiles. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

to add my point of view.

It can be done i've done it myself using pva n sand slurry mix (similar to what wickes bonding agent is now)

but i have to add it was at the request of a builder for a quick turnaround and was against my advice and therefore i did not issue him with a guarantee.

i am of the opinion i will not do in any customers home what i would not do in my own.

if you simply keep plastering over tiles then fix new ones and then plaster over them you will have a very weak and very thick wall. and one hell of a headache.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back