PLASTERING OVER TILES?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone any experience of skim plastering over existing tiles?

If so, was it successful and what prep would you use, PVA or other bonding agent?

Sponsored Links
Has anyone any experience of skim plastering over existing tiles? If so, was it successful and what prep would you use, PVA or other bonding agent?

I have never done it myself, but I am told by other spreads that Thistle Bond It works fine, just make sure the tiles are sound.

Any one else?

prime with evo stick 918 primer available from good tile suppliers.

Tilers use it to tile over old tiles. i've used it many times with no probs. Advise that once applied (and allowed to dry) put on a tight coat of bonding to smooth out grout lines etc then skim when firming up.

good luck.

i've replastered a bathroom over existing tiles that were stuck on ok but looked dreadful.

1st apply thistle bonding coat very thinly (aim 1mm or so scratch coat). the bits in the bonding mean it won't be smooth).

2nd i put thistle browning coat very thinly on top (1mm or so scratch coat). this was just to make sure all the areas were covered that the bonding scratch missed.

3rd apply thistle finish as normal.

amazing transformation. can email before and after pictures if needed :D

Sponsored Links
If the tiles are sound coat the tiles in neat PVA and skim whilst tacky. The PVA will literally glue the plaster to the tile.

Sounds to me like a bodge, shortcut, cost cutting exercise. or whatever else you want to call it ? I don't know how people can sleep at night knowing they are willing to do jobs like that.

Bonding or Browning was NEVER designed to be applied at 1mm thickness. How the hell do you apply bonding at 1mm thickness :eek: its impossible. lost as to why you would use bonding first then browning ? please elaborate?

Remove tiles and do it right. The problem nowadays, is supposed "tradesmen" just want to get in and out and paid ASAP. You need one of us old timers that STILL take PRIDE in their work.

typical example is as follows:

Customer asks: thanks for coming Mr plasterer, my mate said you can plaster straight over tiles?

Non pro plasterer reply: yep i can do that for you if you want (mutters under breath, "D ickhead here this will be a walk over job"

Customer: Great when can you start?

Non pro plasterer: Well i'm realy busy but i can fit you in tomorrow :p

God I'm turning into Softus :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Anyway, thats my rant over with for this week.

Whether you plaster over tiles or paint it makes no difference really. When you plaster over plasterboard you are plastering over paper.

diyisfree";p="749397 said:
Sounds to me like a bodge, shortcut, cost cutting exercise. or whatever else you want to call it ? I don't know how people can sleep at night knowing they are willing to do jobs like that.

Bonding or Browning was NEVER designed to be applied at 1mm thickness. How the hell do you apply bonding at 1mm thickness :eek: its impossible. lost as to why you would use bonding first then browning ? please elaborate?

Remove tiles and do it right. The problem nowadays, is supposed "tradesmen" just want to get in and out and paid ASAP. You need one of us old timers that STILL take PRIDE in their work.

Well said, diyisfree. A bodge up is what it would be.You still get people who are too lazy to take off wallpaper,and put layer upon layer of paper. The other day,I went to look at an artex ceiling a couple want plastering .Turns out it was artexed over ceiling paper,and I have seen that before....Although you probably could plaster over tiles, I would take them off and do it right.

Roughcaster.

In the end my customer accepted my opinion to remove tiles and re-skim.
Done it, looks like new, and of course the new bathroom suite sets it off a treat!!

Is there a good reason for wanting to plaster over tiles? I would suggest that you try remove the tiles, it's just a working standard. Also, what sort of wall are we talking about. If you are having difficulty removing the tiles because the are sticking vigorously to the plaster board and lifting the dry wall with them, then can I suggest you simply remove the dry wall with the tiles and dry line the walls again.

Let me know

Roger

2 walls solid, now stripped and skimmed, 2 walls plasterboard which have been removed and replaced, sounds drastic when suggested but far quicker than trying to strip and much better job

It beats me why people think you cant plaster over tiles. Plaster sticks to your metal tools and even your plastic bucket - so why not glazed tiles? In fact plaster sticks better to glazed tiles than to paint - but everyone plasters over paint. Nowt as kweer as folk.

Plaster sticks to your metal tools and even your plastic bucket - so why not glazed tiles?
And when you knock them, the plaster falls off.

Well you aren't a plasterer are you? Try knocking the stuff off when it's prepared properly and you'll find it a totally different story.

Nope, I don't mind admitting I'm the farthest thing from a plasterer. Plasterers are not to be trusted - they dabble in the black arts. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back