My RCD tripped once but has been OK since

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few days ago our RCD tripped, but when I re-set it everything seemed to be fine and it hasn't happened since. The lighting circuits were OK, so I presume the RCD only supports the power circuits.

I have worked out that it must have happened at about 1am, not long after we had gone to bed. The only appliances that would have been operating then would have been the fridge-freezer, the boiler, the broadband router and a connected wi-fi extender. All of these things have been in constant use in the meantime.

As this has not happened since I do not feel unduly worried, but I'd be interested in what could have caused it. On the other hand, if this points to something that could prove dangerous I realise that something must be done.

Should I be worried? Any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes RCDs just trip for no apparent reason. They are sensitive devices. I should t worry about and wait and see. If it does it again then perhaps it's time to come back here and we can talk you through how to investigate it.

Let's hope it doesn't happen on Christmas Day! :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
As a one off it could have been pretty much anything from an anomaly on the supply network right through to an appliance getting a drop of water in it and a million other things in between.

As it's never done it before, and it reset ok I wouldn't be worried. If it starts to become a regular (or even irregular) occurrence then let us know and we can hopefully help you find out what's causing it.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
It has just done it again two days ago, on 28th May.
Can I assume that after five months, this is nothing to be worried about?

Many thanks.

It could be almost anything.. Kettles are a nice place to start if it begins happening regularly.

Could easily be a Y cap in a device breaking down (they self heal), a drop of water getting in somewhere, or spiders finding a way into boxes and commiting suicide.

If it starts doing it a few times a month, start hunting it.

It could be almost anything.. Kettles are a nice place to start if it begins happening regularly.

Could easily be a Y cap in a device breaking down (they self heal), a drop of water getting in somewhere, or spiders finding a way into boxes and commiting suicide.

If it starts doing it a few times a month, start hunting it.

Yes, it can't be described as happening often so I'll ignore it for now. Thanks for your reassurance.

What's a 'Y cap'? I presume some sort of capacitor. The only things running on both occasions would have been the fridge-freezer, the broadband router and, possibly, the boiler, all of which I suppose would contain capacitors.

As for spiders, yes, they're all over the place!

A specific class of capacitor for connecting directly between live (line or neutral) conductors and earth, where a fault could pose a shock risk.

The fridge freezer might, the boiler almost certainly will, the router is 50/50. But almost any electronic device not physically disconnected or switched off at the socket will likely leave them in circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back