1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

My SAMSUNG (49MU6470) TV Has Developed a Shadow on Screen

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by charliegolf, 7 Jan 2020.

1. charliegolf

charliegolf

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Two years and 4 months old, and a vertical shadow about 8" wide has appeared about a third of the way in from the left side. I have a sinking feeling:(. I can probably get similar for about £350. Are there any fixes? Ta.

CG

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Lucid

Lucid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    First thoughts are either dust of backlight failure. Both are fixable, but dust is more difficult to deal with successfully.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then please do the decent thing and click the T-H-A-N-K-S button. It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2020
  4. charliegolf

charliegolf

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Lucid. Where would be a good place to look for repairs? Big retailers; or local tv repair shop? Ta.

5. Lucid

Lucid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe the small TV shop if they still have an on-site engineer (an expensive commodity) , but TBH, what (or who) you need is the local guy selling refurbished TVs. He'll be used to swapping out bavklights and splitting the various layers of a panel.

Try Facebook selling groups.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then please do the decent thing and click the T-H-A-N-K-S button. It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you. hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. charliegolf

charliegolf

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Lucid, thanks for your earlier replies. Not many responses locally for a repair. I'm a fairly good DIYer, and if the cost is not mega for parts, I'd like to have a go prior to junking the telly.

Can you give an estimate of the cost of new backlights; and where to look for them? Ta.

CG

7. Lucid

Lucid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's not something I have time or space to get involved with. You could try this link as a starting point though: https://tvledbars.com/

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then please do the decent thing and click the T-H-A-N-K-S button. It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sponsored Links