My shed with a round (hobbit) door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brick built shed with a 2.3m round door, in my back garden!

Sponsored Links
early garden .jpg

This is what I started with .

round door.JPG

And this is where I am now. The round door frame is near all concreted in!.

Wow, I love it, can't wait to see it finished.
Where did the inspiration come from ?

Well I needed a large shed of some kind and I wanted to do something a little different. I am a big fan of lord of the Rings and the hobbit. I suggested a round door as a joke and someone said "you couldn't make the hinge strong enough". Being as stubborn as I am, that was it; the door had to be round.

Ive had many builders and engineering mates who have advised me not too, or to modify the idea to some kind of square door in the middle of a round surrounding. But to me that's not a round door.

Just wait for the hinges... They are enormous!

Attachments

• DSC_1044.JPG
    DSC_1044.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 672
Sponsored Links
Painted up the upper hinge with red oxide. not ready to install it yet but I don't want it rusting away.

Attachments

• DSC_1380.JPG
    DSC_1380.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 482
these are the hinges. I designed them on a CAD programme called solidworks. I had them plasma cut out of 5mm steel. Then welded them.
They aren't at all like the hobbit door hinges, they are more Mordor than shire!

Last edited:
As a fellow Tolkien fan, I think that's going to look fantastic.

Are you going to cover it in earth and grass for even more realism? :)

I am nuts! And proud of it. I probably would have finished by now if I had a normal door.

I was originally going to put grass or sedam on the roof but my wife poo pooed that idea. To be fair we have a baby on the way so I may be glad of not having climbing on to the roof to cut the grass.

Time's ticking, I have to finish before the end of August! I have some time off now though.

I have been working on the Hinge pin for ages. Doing a little bit on the odd lunchtime or after work.

It essentially a 45mm steel bar with 2 70mm collars welded at each end. Originally it was around 500mm long but I added another 150mm in the middle.

On the ends of the actual hinges, I made two 70mm diameter collars and welded them.

I'm not an engineer, so im kind of making this up as I go along. I always like to over engineer things anyway, its just my way.

(the Base of the shed has 10 tons of reinforced concrete, for example! Its just a shed!)

Last edited:
Ive now built most of the roof. I really wanted a open design to give the look of more space. It was actually a lot cheaper to do it this way too. The purlins are 9by4 (225 x 100) again over spec'd but I like the chunky look.

The steel will form a loft. I made up the brackets out of some old box section I had.

This was a nice moment; seeing my hinges in place!

Must crack on with the roof though. Hard work on my own. Im too easily distracted.

The dwarfs will be around soon to help you with the rest of the door :)

I look forward to seeing it finished, you are changing your username aren't you Bilbo?

Yes. That's going to look fantastic when covered in grass. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back