my wall socket blew and switch is now jammed :-s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya. I plugged an extension cable into my wall socket, there was blue sparks and all the sockets in the house went off. So I checked the main electric box and the switch had tripped. Switched it back on, unplugged the extension cable but now the main switch on the socket wont flick up? Its jammed, and I'm just worried because it's right next to my daughters' bed. So I'm just wondering if it's safe until tomorrow when I can get someone to fix it? There wont be any live electricity running through it or anything? I dont know anything about electrics as you can probably tell so sorry if you dont understand this as I havent got a clue what the correct terms are :D I would really appreciate someone replying to put my mind at rest, Thankyou

Sponsored Links
It's hard to say for sure but I would think it's very unlikely for further problems to occur between now and when it's replaced if you don't use the socket.

Yep, it's more than likely just welded the switch contacts shut. Should be fine until you get it replaced.

Not heard from you for a while Mandie. How are you keeping these days?

Sponsored Links
Get the lead checked also, before you re use it again, or bin it.

If you think thats what caused it.

Aww that's fab, was just worried it might start a fire!! I'm doing fine thanks, still noseying on here! Theres not many members on from a few years ago?

There are still a few oldies knocking about in general discussion, but most of the veterans have got them selves a life :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back