jammed sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why would wall sockets jam? ie. the holes of both twin sockets seem blocked, I cannot plug anything in and the switches are jammed at ON position. I noticed the sockets had been 'awkward' for a while, but now the sockets are simply inaccessible. I have no clue what is causing this. Is it dangerous?

Sponsored Links
Have you been running (a) heavy load(s) from the socket.

Sounds like it has been overloaded, and burnt out.

a printer & a hoover . . .

a mobile phone...

is it dangerous just to leave as it is?

Sponsored Links
probablly the shutter mechanism jammed or broke somehow.

i doubt its imminently dangerous but since you can't using the socket it probablly best to replace it sometime soon ;)

No, haven't been decorating, nothing unusual going on, the sockets just jammed!

boilerwoes said:
No, haven't been decorating, nothing unusual going on, the sockets just jammed!

Is it just one socket, both in a twin socket or more than that ?

Shutter jamming can happen when a damaged pin on a plug damages the shutter. Or the contact socket to pin of plug is poor and the pin has heated up and the heat has distorted the plastic of the shutter.

Look at the pins of the plugs that go into this socket and look for damage or discolouration. Check inside the plug that the terminals are tight and that the fuse is firmly held in the clips.

Switch sticking could be just very very frequent use and it is worn out or possibly it has been damaged by arcing or heat from a poor pin to socket connection.

boilerwoes said:
... I cannot plug anything in and the switches are jammed at ON position....

Then you are obviously going to have to fit a new one (get a good brand, like Crabtree or MK)

You can have a tinker with the old one after removal to see what's wrong with it. As you say the switches are jammed as well as being unable to insert plugs, I would suspect overheating; or gritty dust; or naughty children with superglue.

Post a picture of the old one afterwards. We like pictures :D

the other thing that could have happened is that the back of the socket could have broken away from the front misaligning everything.

that would explain both the switches and both the socket entries going at once.

My friend is going to change the socket, I know nothing of these things. Seems it is quite a simple job. Yup, maybe the hoover cord pulling has damaged it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back