My washing machine pipe is always wet... on the outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a washing machine installed in a utility next to my kitchen.

Some time ago I had a problem through me using washers that weren't big enough on the connection hoses and a flood occured. Since then I have bought new hoses and they seem to be fine.

But I'm paranoid...

The cold pipe not the hose get's very wet and even though I can't see an obvious leak I am worried. The flood damaged our kitchen floor and is being replaced so I don't want a repeat of the flood and want to get it sorted (if it needs it) before the floor goes down.

Might this just be condensation on the pipe as it is always the cold pipe that this happens on? I tied a bit of kitchen towel round it and within a week it was soaked through and had gone mouldy within two weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Sponsored Links
do you use your m/c a lot

is the water "liitle beads?"

I am thinking if you use your m/c a lot the water in the cold pipe is "changed" frequently, so the pipe is often cold, so if the water on the pipe is little beads it is condensation

It's your cold-from-the-fridge-beer phenomenon. Condensation indeed.

If you cover the pipe, which is the coolest object about, humid air will 'dump' onto the next coolest thing nearby. You may not see the condensation in every case, if the cold thing can absorb, i.e plaster on a wall, you would get a damp patch- and maybe even black mould.
We have a dehumidifier which we bought when we had a genuine damp problem that needed a fast drying out after fixing. It pulls about 3 litres a day out of our house.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back