Myson Apollo 30/50 cutting out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler fires up on the main burner for about ten minutes, then cuts out, then fires up for about 10 seconds, then cuts out, then fires up for 10 seconds and so on. Obviously the pilot light stays on throughout.
It does this cycling on both Central Heating and Hot Water, and on both the Low and High settings.
Does this sound like a circulation problem, or a stat failure?
All advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I do usually run it on the low setting, but tried the high to see if it behaved any differently.
The pump sounds like it is running.

Why only use it on Lo Dan why else would it have a Hi if it was not meant to be used ??

Sponsored Links
Out of the several hundred I get to play with on a development - none of the ones run on High have been happy.

Why does my car engine have 7000RPM on it? I sure as shlt wouldn't drive around at that engine load.

A boiler is nothing like a car engine nothing moves any faster from hi to lo

Never had any more of a problem with them than any other boiler that runs on high.

In fact on a lot of older boilers all they had was a fixed 82 degree stat.

A boiler is more than designed to run at 82 degrees even the overheat stat doesnt kickin till around 91 which is also set well below what would be dangerous

That would be because either the overheat is out or the hi is out so its a fault and needs repaired. Or possibly a pump fault Same as any other boiler

Quite possibly; and considering the age of these boilers, hardly surprising.

However they all seem to work, and due to the fact they are on SE duct flues, unlikely to get changed any time soon.

i have a property and same boiler which is connected to a thermal store and it has been on its high/max setting since being installed.

never been a problem.sorry i lie its a problem when its inspected/serviced ? and landlords certificate is due ( all same time) when a national gas service company visits and says its dangerous and must be turned off immediately.but they recede the dangerous statement when i ask them ,why is it dangerous.
they have to rewrite their paperwork and are never happy.

maybe they are trying to carry out to many calls in their working day.

Can't see them saying it is dangerous without there being something to write on the form. They wouldn't just say it.

I am only commenting from experience, and the TS owner in me can see/feel how it would suit the boiler better.

usually the warning/dangerous form is filled first and when i see them trying to attach a label to the boiler,i ask them how is it going and that is before they have tried to take off the case or even look outside.

i put it down to the pressure of work applied to gasmen.

ok,i have several forms they gave to me saying warning/dangerous although they took away their forms i kept my carbon copies (landlord).

i have them on another pc and i will track them down.

some reasons why it was considered necessary for a warning/dangerous report.

last 3 yearly visits.

one gasman said flue was corroded and fumes were present in the kitchen,i asked him why the (sf) fume detector he supplied/fitted last year did not give out an alert,errm i will retest.

another year another gasman,said the case seal was worn out and not available (oboslete) and i need to issue a notice of warning,although same company had fitted new seals 3 years ago.i asked how did he test for worn seals. ermm i think case needs to be tightened.

yet another yearly visit,same company said fins in heating body were blocked with a hard dust substance and it is dangerous so the same warning notice was issued,i explained their company has never cleaned it out for 4-5 years. errm i will phone my office

its a great little boiler,very quite never broke down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back