Myson Apollo 30/50 cutting out.

Picasso .
Can you explain to me how a faulty switch recieving 240v could reduce the voltage coming out of it to make a pump run slow

Sponsored Links
I have checked around the pump with a magnet but nothing seems out of the ordinary.
The pump is a Circulating Pumps CP53 and is about 8 years old. Appreciate this is a budget pump!
About 18 months ago I had the system flushed with Sentinel X400, and it has not had a circulation problem till now. Refilled with X100 and X200.
Had a TF1 filter fitted about 3 months ago so should not expect to see too much magnetite. However, could the filter install have caused an airlock in the boiler? I t is only now I have just started to use the heating regularly.

Picasso .
Can you explain to me how a faulty switch recieving 240v could reduce the voltage coming out of it to make a pump run slow

the pump connection is on the com of the stat, if the contact of the permanent live is corroded it could cause high resistance and when the stat switches over drop the voltage.

I did not pick up all of the thread but I have had some dealings with these boilers.Firstly I attended one that had caught on fire literally. It was the control box and precisely the relay that switched the gas valve on and off. the customer had no room stat fitted and I can not remember the exact figure but the manufacturer told me that the relay would overheat if put in a constant cycle mode.
Secondly, I attended another where the gas valve was stuck in the open position and I was quite surprised to say the least (first and last time I encountered this on any boiler) For what it is worth it sounds like its worth replacing the boiler stat (by and engineer) Another occasional problem is that
I have had the same problem as you on two or three installations and it took some time to sus out what was happening but the cause and the remedy was identical. I eventually drained both systems and removed the pump where I then saw hardened black deposits within the pump valve orifice that were virtually blocked.Thees were the only points of blockage. Suffice to say once cleaned it solved the problem. I assumed that the pump was creating some kind of electronic effect that attracted the build up albeit over a long period of time.

Best wishes

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the advice. Which boiler stat do you mean? I still think this could be a pump issue.

When the boiler is firing, it does sound like there is a fair bit of water slushing around. Would this indicate some form of airlock?
The boiler is in the airing cupboard, with the tank in the loft above. There is a drain off point in the cupboard. If I were to drain off from here, would this prove if there was a airlock or blockage? Thanks

You only hear water sloshing about when there is air with it.

You need a competent engineer to sort it out properly if you are the Landlord!

Tony

I am not a landlord!
Is there not a way I could attempt to clear this? Obviously with some expert advice!
Thanks

Sorry, Skoda has been hijacking your thread and posing as if the OP.

Its likely to need professional diagnosis. Might just be poor pipework.

Have you done the finger test on the pump???

Tony

If you think the pump is running all the time you need to check what voltage you have at the pump when the stat switches over, it could have gone high resistance and is dropping the voltage making the pump run slow.

If that were happening then a lot of power, perhaps 50w, would be dissapated in the corroded contacts and that would usually cause further damage or even a fire!

Easy to check by measuring the mains voltage and then the voltage at the pump connections, should be no more than 2-3 v difference!

Tony

The pipework has been in place for over 20 years!
I think the problem is either an airlock or a failing pump.
I had a look at the 'finger test'. but cannot see any real access into the pump, just a bleed screw that doesn't come all the way out. It is a Circulating Pumps CP53. Can this be tested in situ?

No you need to turn off valves and unscrew the allen key bolts which holds the head on!

May also have an impeller full of dirt but that pump often loses torque when they get older.

Tony

Tony (agile) i was asked to post reasons why one of my boilers was issued multiple warning notices and i replied to the question,i did not hijack anything.

Tony maybe you could help out this nice chap and pop down to kent (the fresh air will do you a lot of good but keep away from the vineyards and cider makers).

Tony,you rock....

Who asked you about notices?

Perhaps that post has been deleted?

If he wants to pay to to go to him then I am happy to do so. I often go to the nearer parts of Kent!

Tony (aglie) dan_robinson asked.

Tony go to kent and have a holiday and some early nights,cos your worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back