Myson Compact CP53 Faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My Myson Compact CP53 is blowing fuses, so I assume needs replacing. It's been making strange noises for some time, so it's not entirely unexpected!

I'm wondering whether just to replace it like for like or whether it's worth upgrading? I notice a number of people have suggested replacing this type of pump with a Grundfos. Would this be a straight switch or would the pipework need alteration?

Ever since we've been in this house the central heating has been poor in some rooms - particularly the extension. I wonder whether it should have been upgraded at that time? Would a better pump help, or is it down to the boiler?

My boiler is an Ideal Classic FF280, controls ACL Lifestyle LP522.

Sorry if I've been a bit vague as I don't know much about central heating etc, but any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A 15/60 Grundfos would be my choice and set it on speed 2 to start with and then check heating performance. It is a straight swap. No other advice is possible, as no other system details were given.

Cp 53 is the same as a grundfos 15/50 which if your present pump is heating everything up ok would be the suitable replacement cost around 80 quid though as opposed to cheaper screwfix etc pumps at 40 quid

Sponsored Links
OK great thanks.

I think I'll give it a go.

Presumably the 15/60 will hopefully give better performance?

If it is blowing fuses, and you just replaced the pump, the fault will still be there, as there may be a fault with the wiring?

Are all the cables okay, or can you see any signs of damage on any of them, if so replace them.

Simple safely disconnect the wires to the pump turn everything on if fuse doesn`t blow you know it is just a faulty pump cp53 are s##t pumps.

Thought I'd give an update as we now have heating again!

All started out well, bought the Grundfos 15/60 as advised and proceeded to install.

Closed the valves either side of the old pump and tried to shift the corroded fittings. They were both stuck tight and I could only manage a slight movement of the coupling. Unfortunately this was enough to show that the valves either side hadn't closed fully!

Long story shory, decided to call on the services of a professional before the house had fully flooded, and to be fair he didn't take the mick too much (and said I'd bought the pump he would have suggested)

He couldn't shift the fittings either, so ended up bleeding the system down and replacing the valves and fitting the new pump.

Overall, could have been a lot worse and he went round every radiator in the house before leaving to ensure they were all working properly, which would probably have taken me ages as well.

Learnt a lot throughout this process though (in more ways than one!)

Thanks to everyone for your help :)

Thanks for letting us know the outcome matey

Al the best to you :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back