Myson Velaire Oil Boiler Tripping Out - Faulty Fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Our 20yr old Myson Velaire Vitesse boiler started tripping out (orange button lit up on control box.) Pressing the button gets it going again for ~5mins or so, then cuts out again. Have had a heating engineer in and he tells me it needs a new fan. He mentioned something about a pressure switch. I do notice a squeeling noise when the burner fires up, so wondering if bearings are shot? However I want to get alternate opinion on this diagnosis as don't get how boiler could run for 5mins if the fan aint fanning the flame!!!

Anyway, just wondering if people think this is a sensible diagnosis and if the £500 + VAT estimate is sensible. Quick search on google seems to show fan units for ~£180. Also, I'm quite handy with a spanner on cars, etc... so is this something I could buy and fit myself, then just pay for a check-over/service?

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you may be another victim of calling someone to diagnose the fault for free!

They then have to overcharge for actually repairing the fault because some people will fix it themselves ore get someone else.

I always charge for diagnosing faults and in most cases just charge for the replacement parts, in your case perhaps charging £264 to diagnose and replace the fan.

It could well be the fan but I have not seen your boiler so cannot make any remote diagnosis.

My advice is to call someone who charges for diagnosis. That then leaves you to decide how to proceed with the repair.

Merely changing a combustion related part does not complete the repair. After a new part has been fitted the boiler combustion has to be tested and adjusted as required.

Tony

Sponsored Links
As Tibbott says, there are no fan units or pressure switches on the Velaire.
Sqeauling could be motor, pump, or just the drive coupling. Depending on the burner, a complete new unit may be preferable. As suggested, call in someone who knows what they are looking at for a reasonable quote.

A burner motor costs less than £100 retail, So £200 fitted max.
Or just replace the bearings.
I would bet that this is not even the faulty part.

This is definitely a case where you should call in a professional.

Brand new band C warmflow with 5 year warranty is on £650.
Or a warmflow A band for £900

Unlikely the be the fan and should be easy to fix if it uses standard parts.
More likely coil, solenoid valve or pump related.

Note for all you GAS Engineers! the Velaire Does have a Fan in common with 99% of oil fired boilers it is driven by the same motor that drives the oil pump No Air pressure swithch though!! as the motor is squealing it is likely to need replacing some on here would recommend replacing the berarings but TBH I have never found this to be cost effective! however the Velaire Vitesse was supplied with one of Two Burners if the burner in question is a Bentone B9 it is possible that the solenoid coil could be causing the actual fault as a squealing motor will normally keep spinning and not cause a lock-out if however a Riello Burner is fitted it is unlikely to be the cause ;)

Just to close this out.... boilerman2 had it right!

Note: The joker who originally took a look and quoted £500 to supply and fit a new fan/motor was sent by my father in law who runs a general contractor firm. (The guy was accidentally overpaid a few £k on a job, so it was agreed he'd take a look for free.)

The diagnosis was half there... the squeling noise was indeed due to worn bearings in the B9 burner's fan/motor. I changed the bearings myself and put on a new starting capacitor. This got rid of the noise, but boiler still cutting out. (Our guy was then confronted about the comedy £500 quote and bad diagnosis and hasn't had much work from us since!)

With a bit of research on net and boilerman2's comment I learnt that the fuel cut-off solenoid is troublesome on the B9 burner. I ordered a new one and while removing old one, found that one of its wires was loose and disconnected from its screw-terminal. I wired in the new one anyway and boiler was then all good....

...for a while. About a year later, the fan/motor did then pack up (not enough torque to start turning.) This time I went for a new one for around £70 and fitted myself. The guy at the parts place looked at my 20yr old removed motor and advised the new one would probably only last 2!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back