Mysterious leak....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been trying to find the source of a mysterious leak under the kitchen window. We have monoblock paving and the area is constantly wet. Have had the dishwasher/sink pipes checked and no leak found.

There are no other water applicances close by.

Any ideas where it's coming from? It's between soil pipe and two pipes that carry waste water from utility room and sink. I am dreading the thought that it may be an underground drainage pipe that is burst and we will have to have the whole drive dug up.

Cheers (from my house of horrors)

Sponsored Links
During a spell of dry weather don't use the appliances in the utility room or sink (go away for the weekend). Is it still as wet?
Have you a water softener in this area? Likewise turn it off to test.
Do any loft tanks discharge their overflow pipes above this area?

Don`t think removing your block paving is too difficult ;) it`s easier than concrete to remove/reinstate.........Job`s a walk in the park, Mallory. Have had it done @ home and you only destroy one block that has to be broken to start removel cuz they`re wedged in tight. they go back like lego

Try rodding from the next inspection chamber to confirm that the drain is clear.

By not using water producing things you should be able to decide which one causes the leak.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies! Good to know that monoblocking isn't such a nightmare to sort out after all!

Now, there isn't any manhole cover in the driveway at all. I don't think it's been covered over, as there is a small cover which has been blocked around - if they have taken the trouble to do that, then I don't think they would have covered over a main access point. The previous owners say there isn't one........ I have no idea now to find out if they are telling the truth or not. Presumably someone has plans of the drains somewhere?

I've tried not using the appliances twice - just to add confusion, once it disappeared and once it remained!!!

It's not coming from above - it seems to be seeping up through the ground. However, the kitchen/utilty (which is set a few feet higher than the garden ground) has concrete floors, so we thought it could be seeping down from a leaky dishwasher, but this has been checked and leak still mysteriously there....

Could a plumber or drainage firm source the leak in an easy way, as we've tried elimination and haven't really got any further...?

Thanks again for all those who have replied. It is appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back