Mysterious water leak underneath floorboards

About 15 years ago, the Father in Law had exactly the same problem. Their house was on a slope and he had found about a foot of gin clear water under their floorboards when he had them up to do some wiring. As far as I can remember, he tried all the same tests as the OP but never got to the root of the problem. In the end he knocked a hole through his footings and fitted a drain pipe to let it out the rear of the house and into the garden.

Sponsored Links
Bernardgreen, the volume of water coming through suggests it’s not sewage ie doesn’t seem like a flushed toilet etc and yes you’re right UU also said that sewage water can get filtered by the distance and ousing into the earth...

Bodd, EH are claiming that they are testing each item separately by putting dye down giving it 5/10 mins before moving onto next item and they did start next door and are now 11 doors up.
What really would help is if next lifted their floorboards just to have a visual inspection. If each house did that then definitely it would be much easier to identify the source.

Motman, I’ve tried this but unfortunately was unable to make a successful hole into the front garden as the ground outside is higher up than the inside.

Thanks for your advice/replies...once again would be grateful if any other avenues are available and may have been overlooked

Fit a submersible pump and pump it on the pavement, garden or drain.

Invoice your water provider for the pump, and electricity bill. Copy in your local MP.

Andy

Sponsored Links
hi,

thanks everyone for your input. At the moment what i've done is install a submersible pump and it seems to be doing the trick but as you know this is only a workaround.

In the meantime i've had a legal letter drawn up and sent to the next door neighbours and they don't wanna play ball and are saying to take them to court cos silly Environmental Health are siding with them eventhough i' the one seeking assistance from EH.

When i initially reported the problem to EH they said to me when it comes to neighbouring disputes it is them (EH) that steps in to help matters.

All i'm asking next door to do at this stage is to lift up the floorboards but they wont cos they're, get this, "tiled" over and say they don't wanna be paying for any damage.

As always very grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Tony

Well, as much as I get on with them, I’m sure if my neighbours wanted me to take up a tiled floor at my expense so that they could have a look underneath, I’d say no too.

me too motman....BUT and its a big but if i was shown evidence of water going under my house causing damage to my own house then i wouldn't just sit back and enjoy an ice cream

With some people though, if it’s out of sight, it’s out of mind!

In the meantime i've had a legal letter drawn up and sent to the next door neighbours and they don't wanna play ball and are saying to take them to court cos silly Environmental Health are siding with them eventhough i' the one seeking assistance from EH.
With some people though, if it’s out of sight, it’s out of mind!
Send them all some photos of the sinkholes which can be created by broken sewer pipes.

All i'm asking next door to do at this stage is to lift up the floorboards but they wont cos they're, get this, "tiled" over and say they don't wanna be paying for any damage.
Ask them to consider what their bill for damage will be if it turns out that they were the source of the problem and they obstructed efforts to fix it.

Sponsored Links
Back