Dye stain on original floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As you can obviously tell, I've joined this forum to ask for advice. I had a bit of a disaster recently and rather than pay hundreds of dollars to fix it (all quotes I've had are a minimum of $500) thought I would attempt to fix the problem myself.

What happened was, I had a silicon laundry basket that I soaked a 'dry clean only dress' in. I was going to give the dress to charity so not bothered about the fact that the dyes ran and it was ruined (much!) but the dye from the dress seeped into the water and there was a leak in the laundry basket... resulting in me coming home from work and discovering a large round dye stain soaked into the original floorboards of the house.

I want to just sand those few boards back and then attempt to stain and polyurethane (or whatever it's called) just that section of the floor boards to make it look ok. It's a rental property and the landlords don't do anything to maintain (and did the floors themselves so they're a little patchy anyway) so as much as I want to make it look normal again, I don't want to spend $500 doing it.

Any advice before I go to it with some sandpaper?! Please?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back