Mystery Cable and Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was removing a tree stump in the back garden and came across what appears to be a blue MDPE pipe and a 1" thick black cable with red stripes and "TELEPHONES UEP. 79" embossed on it.

I don't have any outside taps down the garden and I haven't seen either terminate in the house anywhere. Our own phone line and water supply both come in at the front of the house. It's a 1930s semi.

Anyone recognise the black cable? Is it a BT thing? Any way of working out where it goes without digging up half the garden?

Attachments

• pipe&cable1.jpg
    pipe&cable1.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 150
  • pipe&cable2.jpg
    pipe&cable2.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 147
  • pipe&cable3.jpg
    pipe&cable3.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 144
Sponsored Links
Assume for the moment that they both run in more or less straight lines and dig another exploratory hole halfway down the garden. How old is the house you see when you look along the line of sight in both directions along the pipe run?

What is on the other side of that fence? How much newer is the fence than your house?

It's possible that the person who erected the fence encroached over the original boundary.

Last edited:
The houses out the back are a bit newer, maybe 50s. They have their own telegraph pole on their street and what looks like water stop cocks in their street also.

My neighbour on the other side of that fence doesn't know anything about them, we've both only lived here a couple of years though so fence and pipe predate us.

It vaguely points towards the drive down the side of our house (we have one of those long, narrow gardens, this is about 1/3 the way down). There is a telegraph pole outside the front of our house - wouldn't explain the water though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back