mystery electrical fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to identify the purpose of, and work out whether I still need a number of strange electric fittings found throughout my house. They are placed high up (50cm below ceiling) in most rooms (not bathroom or hall).

They are MK fittings, almost flush with a small flat plate containing a small hole (approx 6mm dia) - this plate is screwed in. They are wired red and black and the red wire is live (lights up an electrical screwdriver). Any idea what they are and whether I should/could get rid of them? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
..so much sparkydude. That is exactly what they are. You've solved a conundrum that has been puzzling me and everyone who enters our house. With any luck, they'll be on their own ring. Think I'll take them out - all seems a bit seveties to me. Cheers again

I would doubt they are on their own ring, as rings are only used for power, i would suspect they have been run off your lighting circuits as they only drew very low current. You said you onlly had a red and a black at the point, no earth connection??? It might be time to get your electrics inspected by a registered sparky as if no earth then sounds like it needs updating, or at least testing to ensure its still compliant with current regs.

Nick

Sponsored Links
These fittings are usually used for picture lights. You imply that there are a two pairs of cables at each outlet, which would mean that they are tied in with the lighting circuit for sure.

Yes they are all earthed - I was just referencing the active wires. You are quite right they are not on ring of course - they are wired into lighting circuit :oops:

Not sure if they were for clocks or picture lights but I don't want them - lol.

Again, thank you for help and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back