Two red wires..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I wonder if you can help? I was about to change an old white plastic dimmer switch for a 1 gang polished steel face plate. Recently moved to a new property and met by what appears to be fairly antiquated electrics! Opened the faceplate fo be met by two red wires. One has a piece of brown insulating tape wrapped around it. There is no earth wire that I can see. Obviously I haven’t fitted the new plate. Can I have some advice on what setup I have here, what my options are and whether or not I can fit my new polished faceplate or not? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• D5C94847-AA21-4735-939B-A6593285613C.jpeg
    D5C94847-AA21-4735-939B-A6593285613C.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 341
Sponsored Links
One wire is permanent line, the other switched.
Doesn't matter which way they are connected to the 2 terminals on the switch.

Metal switches cannot be used.

Thank you for the quick response. I appreciate your help. I suspected I couldn’t use the metal switch. How old do you think this wiring is? To have the house upgraded to newer electrical wiring, how much do you think that would cost fitted? Would really like to have more modern electrical sockets ect.

Sponsored Links
Are the wires in a metal conduit? In your picture we can’t see any of the outer grey (or white) sheath of a cable.

I was wondering about it being conduit.
However the screw holes are nylon, so it’s unlikely to be earthed.

And in fact the box is too shallow for round conduit

I was wondering about it being conduit.
However the screw holes are nylon, so it’s unlikely to be earthed.

And in fact the box is too shallow for round conduit

They used to connect narrow imperial conduit to shallow boxes with an adaptor thingy.

Thank guys. I’m resigned to the fact that as there is no earth I’m stuck with plastic for now. Many thanks for advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back