Mystery Leak from New Loo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm hoping someone may be able to suggest a solution for a leaking loo, as my plumber seems to have reached the end of the road with this problem.

He installed a new cloakroom suite for me some weeks ago ("Darlington" by TC Bathrooms). After installation the w.c. was flushed several times and it appeared to be in working order with no sign of leakage. However, a couple of days later we noticed water leaking out from beneath the pan. The leak only happens when the loo is flushed, and the area around the connection into the wall is absolutely bone dry. The area under the pan is completely enclosed so it is impossible to see where the water is coming from. The plumber reinstalled the w.c. twice to no avail. Each time the leak recurred after the loo was flushed several times.

I contacted the manufacturer who said that the problem could be (1) the w.c. was connected improperly, or (2) the pan could be "porous".
The manufacturer told me to contact the supplier to arrange a replacement. They also sent me a connector to use with the w.c.

To cut a long story short, the replacement pan also started leaking after 2-3 days of use. Both the supplier and the manufacturer are saying it is impossible that both pans could be faulty.

The plumber I used has decades of experience and has an excellent reputation locally. He has done various other plumbing/bathroom projects for me with no problem. He just cannot work out what is wrong with this loo.

The time lag after the pan was installed makes me suspect that there may be a flaw in the glazing, that water is working its way into the pottery with each flush, and starts leaking out when it reaches a critical mass (but what do I know?).

I would really appreciate it if anyone could offer any advice.

Sponsored Links
sounds like you are probably right the pan is porous somewhere if its only when flushed i would say round near where the water enters the pan or the rim.

Suspect the joint between the cistern and pan- The Donut washer - or the Dlonut Wrasher as it`s known ...on China wc`s from China. But with a name like your one - it MUST be a Great British manufacture...allegedly.

Sponsored Links
take it you have a concealed cistern. if so i wold gain access to this and check the joint from the cistern outlet.also the pan connector may be at fault if this wasnt changed with the other toilet i would deeply suspect the connector may have worn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back