New toilet leaking when flushed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The new loo I'm trying to fit is leaking at the pan connection - I've just fitted the third (different brands of) connector, this one seems the tightest yet, but there is still a slight leak after flushing. The pipe connection is good, it's nice and straight, nothing strained or stretched.

I've fitted various types of connectors over the years and have never had this problem, the only thing I can see is that is causing the leak is that the outlet on the pan is not very well glazed and isn't completely smooth, but doesn't seem rough enough to be an issue. I know you aren't meant to apply any type of lubricant or sealant to the pan, so I'm a bit stuck as to what to do next - other than look for an even tighter fitting connector!

I was just wondering if there was a standard trade solution to this problem, as badly glazed pans must be fairly common!

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
You sure the spigot isn`t oval? See it a lot and think there is a connector with a jubilee clip or something to tighten.

I never thought to check! It's only a couple of mm off, there's no glaze to the whole bottom half though.
I've just found a McAlpine connector with jubilee clip, thank you, which looks like it should do the job according to the product reviews!

First thing I check now and I`d be tempted to take that back tbh. Quailty control is so poor now.

Sponsored Links
i have had this before. as mentioned the outlet was oval. the pan was replaced under warranty but i did also buy a pan connector with large jubilee clip which solved the problem

Just make sure that there is no leak between the cistern and the pan joint above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back