Mystery Pipe

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,

We recently bought a house that is about 40 years old. There a mystery pipe in a room in the garage - that was originally support to be the laundry room.

40 years later - we are actually now looking to use this room as the laundry room. Wonder if this is a cold water pipe and how we turn it on?

The room is next door to the boiler room, so it could also be related to it. The other side of the wall from which the pipe is emerging is the gable wall, not the boiler room.

Ray K

Sponsored Links
You will have to trace it back. Try blowing down it see if its open/blocked/connected at the other end. Whats that sticking out of the end ?

Looks like a disused oil feed / return pipe. Possibly from the fuel tank?

Very possibly, the oil tank is in another shed now ...
It might have been in the garage originally?

Ray K[/quote]

Sponsored Links
My parents used to have a tank in a garage, so it's very possible. It looks too small to be a 15mm cold water feed to me.... I doubt you'll have much luck in the boiler room either, as it looks like a system boiler.

Are there no adjacent rooms with water pipes that could be brought through? After all, I presume you will want a basin with hot and cold running water in there?

There is cold water nearby, there is a pipe outside the door which can easily be brought in to feed the washing machine. There is also a drain to the soak-away outside the door, so we are covered for drainage also.

The only real gap is hot water. The boiler is a system boiler, so it heats the cylinder in the house which is _miles_ away.

If the hot is going to be a pain, get an oversink water heater ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back