Should there be an extractor or window in this room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to ask advice on what the builders have done with our new boiler.

A new 'Baxi megaflo 32HE' has been installed in the utility room (the old boiler was upstairs). The utility room itself used to be a single story room with a large external window. The new utility (swallowed up by our new extension) has had the window blocked up and an ensuite built above it.

Today, the utility has a door leading in from the kitchen (which is usually closed) and an external door to the garden (which is almost never opened). The original plans for the utility (and the quote) included an extractor fan in the utility (as its our laundry room). But no extractor fan was installed and because they have now moved the boiler into this room I'm wondering whether its a potential death trap?

The outside wall of the utility does have numerous new exit pipes so one must be for the boiler but should there be an automatic extractor fan in this room now or something else? Or am I worrying too much (precipitated by having 2 young children!). I've put the carbon monoxide detector in the utility room now so I'm hoping this will let us know if there is a build-up of fumes.

Is everything OK? Or as local planning is yet to sign off the build should I draw their attention to these points?

cheers, C

Sponsored Links
i assume its a balanced flue so has no connection with the house air at all
have you got the make and model number

The boiler you have is a room sealed fan assisted boiler and (provided that the clearances set by the manufacturers are met ) requires no additional ventillation. Theres no harm fitting an extractor if you want one provided its not to close to the flue outlet, hope this helps Paul.

thanks for that.

Is it still worth trying to find the flue model????

Sponsored Links
sorry no thats my fault its the boiler model i missed it somehow :oops:
A new 'Baxi megaflo 32HE'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back