Nailed/Screwed Solid Wood Floor over boards | Use Underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Am trying to get to the bottom of this question and there seem to be many, many conflicting answers. :confused:

I'm putting an 18mm solid wood tongue and groove flooring (Brazilian Walnut/Ipe) down over existing pretty level floorboard. I know that I need to:

- Leave an expansion gap (3-4mm for every metre in width)
- Nail or screw the floor to the sub-floor (which needs to be solidly fixed down)
- Fix in the opposite direction to the floorboards.
- Leave to acclimatise for a week in the room to be fixed into.

The confusing issue is underlay (or not to underlay).

I've had some suggestions that using a 3mm foam type underlay, like Timbermate Excel is a good idea to assist with sound insulation, and prevent moisture from penetrating into the floor from the exposed earth under the sub-floor given it's a Victorian style house where below the subfloor you have a largeish cavity set with the earth below.

The link below shows the sort of suggestion as 'best-practice' that I'm talking about.

http://www.wood4floors.co.uk/guides-and-info/floor-fitting-instructions/

I've also heard this will take away some of the echo and hardness of a solid floor that would exist with no cushioning below.

Elsewhere I've read using a foam type underlay will at best be useless due to the compression as the boards are put down, and at worst will result in a squeak as it could promote movement.

Finally, I've read that under no circumstances if using an underlay over a current wood floor, should one use an underlay with a DPM built in (although the underlays sold for the purpose have these, and there is no explanation as to why a DPM is a bad idea).

So basically, on the question of underlay I'm totally confused as what is best/worthwhile/useless/to be avoided.

If anyone can offer a conclusive or informed opinion on any of the above would really appreciate it!!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Nailing onto existing floorboards is a good practise, adding underlayment between the two floors isn't. The underlayment will be impressed by the nail and loose its function - waste of money, materials and effort.

As for not using a DPM over existing floorboards: the void underneath the existing floorboards is there for the needed ventilation. DPM will hold the ventilation of humid air, risking condensation underneath it which could result in rotting the existing floorboards and even the joists.

The webpage you linked to forgets to mention one important thing in regards of the underlayment Excell: the subfloor they talk about is a concrete floor - not existing floorboards or any other sheet materials such as plywood, chipboard etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back