Nailing through middle of replacement roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Looking for some advice. We had a wood burning stove fitted recently and the fitter fitted a replacement flue. In doing this he had to replace some existing tiles but refitted them without refitting tingles like all the original tiles. Instead he hammered a nail through the middle of several of the tiles we assume to the roof timber underneath. See photo attached where you can hopefully make out the nails in the centre of several tiles. The tiles are artificial slate.
I did question the work but he said the alternative method would involve fitting flashing at the base of several tiles and he said it would look unsightly.

My question is will the nails and exposed holes where tingles used to be likely cause us issues in driving rain. Is his refitting method acceptable? If it isn't what is the correct way of refitting and how complicated is it?
thanks
Dan

Attachments

• roof tiles_annotated.jpg
    roof tiles_annotated.jpg
    772.6 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The original rivet holes are of no concern other than they dont have their rivets

What you have is a bull shiiite job for what is not difficult.
The nails are a possible leak area.
It's possible to strip out and refit cement fibre slates such as yours totally invisibly.

You refer to tingles when I think you actually mean Rivets or more precise Copper Disc Rivets (CDR)

Tingle is a completely different thing

Horses for Courses.

If he is up to those tricks then he could have at lease covered the nails with some waterproof mastic. Hopefully its near the top roof.

Sponsored Links
Hall hooks are very good particularly with natural slate.
There's another method with cement fibres that is simple and invisible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back