Nails that loose their thread!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been attempting to put some blinds up in my bathroom, I tried putting up the brackets with screws supplied. Anyhoo, the screws were determined not to go right in the wood and now they have lost their thread...I can neither get them in or all the way out...what can I do, any suggestions?!

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo danlou and welcome
not quite shure what you mean screws dont normaly loose thier threads
is it possible you have hit a lintel[above a window ;) ]and you are having trouble extracting the loose screw:cool:

Or is the screw head chewed up so that the screwdriver won't locate any more? If this is the case then judicious use of a pair of pliers will get the screw out - and I mean using the pliers to twist the screw out NOT pull it otherwise you'll have a lot more to sort out.

Once you get them out go and buy some decent screws and try again.

They are probably rubbish screws.

I would drill a pilot hole first though to feel if it is the lintel, if it is, you can use long self tappers, with the right (or slightly oversize) drill bit.

Sponsored Links
It could be that when he unscrews it just turns and doesn't come out? It can happen.

In this case a claw hammer used to exert a slight pull as you are unscrewing the screw can help.

TIP 1
Never use the screws supplied with anything!!!

They are of such dubious quality (made with lead I think :) ), together with cheap ill fitting screwdrivers that DIY'ers tend to buy - No wonder they have problems...

Drill correct diameter hole to correct depth, if not in wood then insert correct size wallplug, lubricate screw thread :- with tallow or scrape thread along a candle or Vaseline it ... screw normally tougher than wallplug, carefully driver screw in, don't try to 'turn the head off'.
Holes and screws have diameters, depths, lengths and the latter various 'slots' ... Get the relationships right and it is easy work !! 'Tis engineered that way you know !!

P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back