Nasty Textured Ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new house has nasty textured ceilings, and i want to get rid of them!

The texture is a series of sort of points all over the ceiling, a bit like cake icing gone wrong.

How difficult is it to remove this, and what's the best way?

Suggestions i've had so far are that skimming over it after a bit of roughing over (it has a gloss finish) would be ok, or that the whole ceiling should be taken down, plasterboard put up, and that skimmed over. It's in a bedroom, so there's probably loads of mess etc above the ceiling.

Suggestions/comments please!

Sponsored Links
Then, depending on how rough the texture is, a skim would work fine. Of course the end result depends upon the condition of the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Uni bond,........ bonding coat devil floated (light scratch)...... then plaster skimmed. May be a good idea to locate the joists and add some extra screws when you bare in mind that there is probably the original plaster skim an artex covering and soon to be another skim, some weight there !
Find the joists by using a bradawl at the wall end (both sides) to locate the centres of the joists than snap a chalk line down along them and screw them up tight. You may be able to take a floor scraper or similair and scrape off the worst of the artex so you wont have to put on too heavy a coat to cover.
just done two ceilings today as above and they came out perfect.

Legs or anybody !

Have you ever use Artex Skim Coat ? According to the Artex manufacter it's easier product than using finish plaster but haven't met anybody yet in the building trades that has use it !!!

cant say I have come across it masona, I use the Irish skim Pinnacle!.... not bad stuff but not patch on B.gypsum, very slow to go off :cry:

sorry masona i've not heard of it either, i just polybond & skim with b-g.
who makes it/ where do you get it from?

dj.

-dj- said:
who makes it/ where do you get it from?
No wonder I has a headache, they change the name from Artex Skim Coat to Artex Flat Finish :!:
See this

It's made by Artex company because Artex was going out of fashion and removing old Artex coatings may contain asbestos so they come up with this product and they claims it stays wet and workable much longer than finish plaster, so don't need any plastering skill as with real plaster is best left with the pro.

Just found another small details which are calling it Artex Skim Coat ! Here

I have no idea if it's harder or softer than using finish plaster.

Sounds like the same artex I had on the lounge ceiling, decided the best way was to tear it down, re-board then get the plasterer in. I've got to say it's the best decision I've made for ages.
Ceiling looks great and it gave me the oppurtunity to hide all the surround sound cables!!
Messy job tearing it down but fun!

FK

masona, just browsing this part of the forum so sorry for the late reply.

I have used the Artex Skim about 3 years ago and it was in a ready mixed tub. I am hopeless at plastering, tried but failed many times, so when I tackled my lounge ceiling (21 ft x 10ft) I did not hold out much hope. The result was better than I could of imagined, not through any skill of mine but because the product was very workable, creamy and adhesive.
I still cannot plaster but am about to use the product on my Artexed bathroom ceiling.

Thanks for the feedback and remember the ceiling got to be the most difficult to do :!:

You can also try X-Tex. I've used it and it's a bit messy, but it does work! :)

Eddie M said:
Is the room coved ?

Hi Eddie,

How much of a problem is it if the ceiling has coving? I have a similar problem with Artext ceilings and I am not sure how to play it. I plan to remove built-in wardrobes which will mean removing the coving around them. The ceiling 'inside' the wardrobes still has the prievous artex :( I can't see how to replaster the ceiling without removing the coving, but how much damage is this likely to cause to the walls? I am not a fan of coving, so I don't mind it going, I just don't know what would be easiest... :confused:

p1138449_l.jpg
This is bosch also made by Harris with a 4" or 6" blade (use the "blunt" side). Certainly knock the lumpy bits off !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back