Nasty UVPC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a hideous UPVC front door. It is white and grubby and the decorative moulding is broken in one place and probably filling up with rain water!. We would like to replace it with a reclaimed Victorian wooden one. We realise that this would mean replacing the surround also :eek:

Has anyone on these forums ever done this before?

How easy is this going to be?

What would be an average cost of undertaking a project like this?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
The "surround" is a door frame, and it will have architrave mouldings nailed round it to hide the joint with the brickwork and give a decorative effect. You can buy mouldings in many patterns and apply them later if you like. It is an advantage to paint the frame before fitting so you can do the surfaces that will be against the brick and impossible to reach afterwards. Also to apply preservative if you like. Remember that you will have to paint the top and bottom of the door after it has been trimmed to size, to keep the weather out. This is quite difficult unless you have lift-off hinges which are unusual on external doors.

Be sure to have the joiner fit a good pair of locks and any bolts, knocker and letterbox that you want. These can be used to cover the holes left by the old locks and bolts on a reclaimed door.

Many Victorian doors look attractive with a box-like brass rim-lock but these are not usually secure to modern standards. You will need a modern BS lock as well.

You can buy modern frames in standard sizes, but assuming you have a joiner to fit it he can cut it down to make it smaller or unsquare if necessary.

You are not likely to get a reclaimed frame in usable condition but can ask.

A day's work would probably cover it unless it is especially awkward.

Try to get recommendations for a local joiner from friends, neighbours or other local tradesmen. For this kind of work an older person will have had more experience than someone who has mostly done new build.

p.s. I think you are very wise to have your horrible plastic door replaced with a wooden one.

JohnD said:
For this kind of work an older person will have had more experience than someone who has mostly done new build.

Good tip! I hadn't considered that. I'll bet most front door work is the other way round; From traditional wood to UPVC

Sponsored Links
:oops:

Sorry Mr/Mrs Moderator. I consider my wrists slapped!

I wasn't asking for a quote tho. Just checking for a ball park so I could see whether it was a project worth undertaking.

amandaclegg said:
We have a hideous UPVC front door. .......

Is there another sort? :confused:

The cost would be higher the better the quality. I have seen some doors made by this firm, You would be hard pushed to find fault with them. I would like some for our Victorian place. It would be a better investment than other options IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back